Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling a car you are too attached to. (help)

Daily
    Honda S2000
    2nd Car
    BMW E46 M3
    Name
    kevin

Selling a car you are too attached to. (help)

I put the car up for sale for a ridiculous price over the weekend and got an overwhelmingly large number of inquiries. The reason for this was that I had my heart set on an E46 M3.

I have owned the Soarer for near 4.5 years and there is alot of sentimental value in the car.

I took it for one of its last drives tonight and I am actually not so sure I want to sell it. It drives so well and has the looks I set out for it in the beginning of this build and the power to match. I literally drove it into a carpark, parked at it, and stared at it for half an hour contemplating whether I should sell it or not. I still cannot make up my mind. I remember I had always told myself that I would never sell the car...

So now I'd like some help regarding my decision.

The main reasons for me wanting to sell the Soarer were that:
    1. the car is now complete. I don't feel that there is anymore to do to it.
    2. I don't drive the car. It sits in the garage most of the time. Part of this is because I feel as though I do not want to rack up kms. (but really, does this matter?) If we build a car, shouldn't we enjoy it and drive it?
    3. I always worry about cops pulling me over , although this has never happened
    4. I really want an M3. The price of the M3 has dropped into the range that I can afford now. (approx $30K)
    5. I feel as though I don't want to drive the car as much anywhere now because of the low offset wheels it's running, and how it's all 'stanced'.

Why I don't want to sell it:
    1. There is too much sentimental value. It was me who built this car over time to the way I wanted it.
    2. It just looks SO GOOD and drives amazingly

Now, points for the M3:

Why I want one
    1. The E46 M3 is a dream car. I have always wanted one, especially in Alpine White (which is super rare anyway)
    2. That exhaust note.
    3. The BMW straight 6 is an AMAZING engine. I test drove one over the weekend and literally fell in love on the spot.
    4. The car is so much more refined. (stock). Then again, once coilovers are added, it would just be as stiff as the Soarer now and be tiring to drive (long distances)
    5. It's time to grow up and move on from the low, loud Japanese 'hoon' car experience.

Why I shouldn't get one
    1. The money I save could be put to better use. BMW M servicing and parts costs are ridiculous compared to Toyota.
    2. All the potential problems! Vanos issues, SMG pump failure, Rear subframe issues.
    3. Most M3s in this price range are over 100K kms. Do I want a BMW that has done that many kms?
    4. Again, like the Soarer, it would probably sit in the garage. Wouldnt this be a complete waste?
    5. If I do get an M3, I doubt that it will be running low offset wheels. it would look mostly stock. Is this something I want right now?
    6. Insurance costs me $3K a year...

It would also look somewhat like this if I did modify it.

To be honest, I think the Soarer looks better.

The Soarer will depreciate very little from its value it is at now. The BMW may still drop another 5K in the next year.

What should I do?

I can't keep 3 cars in the garage!!!
    Daily
    Camry
    Name
    jeff

imho, keep the soarer, its got sentimental value, but thats just me
    Daily
    EP3R
    2nd Car
    EGK20 & S14A
    Name
    David Napoleone

im in the same situation, I decided to keep my love /pride and joy. However I am parting it out to enjoy the car as the factory left it
    Daily
    VW Amarok
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Phil

I feel your sentiments, I've had mine for 10 years...I don't drive it a lot, I don't want harassment, but when I do drive it I still love it....Go with your heart...not your head...
    Daily
    Corolla
    2nd Car
    Camry
    Name
    Joy, Happy, Love

you are stuck between 2 modes.

1// moving up in life/cars
    2// being content

though... if you have to ask yourself this question, are you truly content?
    Top spec V8 whitegood << Finally hit the big milestone
    Daily
    Toyota Mark II JZX110
    2nd Car
    Toyota Chaser JZX100

sell jazz daily m3
    Daily
    MX5

I agree with the comments made by Joy.

Its common for a car enthusiast to say, 'I will never sell this car'. But fast forward a few years and you'll find that they've jumped into something better.

If the soarer is your idea of 'the ultimate car' then I would definitely keep it. If it isn't, it might just be time for you to move onto your next build.
    1. '90 NA6 (sold)
    2. '94 NA8 Clubman (current) - Build thread: http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/show...-Clubman-Build
    Daily
    CITY RAIL

you need a new direction for the soarer then you will fall in love with it again.
    Daily
    E46
    2nd Car
    C180K

get the E46M3..you'll love it.
    I know if i had the chance, i would sell my car and get a E46M3.
    Try get a manual if youre worried about smg failure, get the rear subframe checked, and reinforced if need be.
    Also, whats wrong with a BMW with over 100000kms? nothing, pretty much how any car would be..theres wear and tear.

IMO, sell the soarer, start fresh and enjoy a new car! and from what i see on other forums, youre pretty damn keen on a M3

ps. Keep the meisters for the M3 and yes, i know theyre 5x114.3.
    Daily
    E39 535i M Sport

Sell the soarer. Time to move on mate. All things must end. Nothing wrong with a BMW that has 100+kms. Right now I'm rocking a 5series with almost 180k. There's a 3 series in my family from the same era in my family with less than 100k. As far as driving goes, they both feel solid as a rock, not a single rattle and smooth as silk. I bet the e46 m3 is the same. Just think of that crisp na engine note. ...... then that epic supercharger whine 6 months later when you lose your shit hahaha.

Do it mcfly.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast