Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto vs Manual? Give me your experience and tips!

Daily
    Mazda2

Quote Originally Posted by scratz98 View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm a new driver and want to get into the whole JDM scene in the next few years. I don't own my own car YET, but I drive my friend's and family's cars, specifically my fathers Infiniti G37. I live in the U.S in New York City Area (Not exactly in the city but on the outskirts) aka Queens. Automatics are greatly hated on in the JDM world mainly because people who do not drive manuals are "pussies". I want to drive a stick but in my area its fairly difficult with traffic and such. I just want to hear it from you guys. Is it worth sticking it out? Should I get an auto first then a stick? I go to meets but am usually just mesmerized by everyone elses beautiful cars and hope to one day own one day own and stance my car ( Pref a wrx sti ) anyway thank you for anyone that helps. No hate please Wish the JDM scene was as nice here as it is in Australia! Have a great day guys!
    I'd say get a manual. But if you get in to traffic a lot probably it's better to get something that has power assisted clutches (read: really soft). In my experience my right foot gets more tired operating the gas and the brake long before my left does from clutching.
    Daily
    A165H
    2nd Car
    D21 2.7D DX 4x4
    Name
    Josh

I grew up in the country, so I learnt to drive well before I got my L's. Dad taught me in his old farm ute, which was a column shift 4-speed Mitsubishi L200. First time I drove an auto was just before I finished school, lol.
    IMO for a city kid without the opportunity to learn to drive in a wide open paddock with nothing to hit, an auto would likely be the best choice. It's one less thing for you to have to concentrate on whilst inexperienced and dealing with city traffic.

As for my preference, it depends on the vehicle and it's intended usage. I'd hate my Navara if it was auto, 4x4s should be manual unless you plan on doing a LOT of towing IMHO. If I was building a car for combined track and street duties it'd be manual, if it was purely for the street it'd be auto. I'm lazy these days.
    Rail it & nail it.
    Hillbilly Deluxe Mk.II, '81 Mitsubishi Scorpion/'96 Nissan Navara 4x4/'81 Yamaha IT250/'83 Yamaha YZ125
    Daily
    BR9 GT
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R

Auto's are just as good, if not better than manual these days. Try calling an R35 owner a pussy, their car is auto (not quite a slushbox, but no third pedal).
    Only downside is the cost of repair if something goes wrong. Manual more likely to be drivable if something breaks, auto you'll most likely get stranded.

Better to learn manual, opens up your choice of cars.
    Daily
    V35
    Name
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by nizmo_man View Post
    Auto's are just as good, if not better than manual these days. Try calling an R35 owner a pussy, their car is auto (not quite a slushbox, but no third pedal).
    Only downside is the cost of repair if something goes wrong. Manual more likely to be drivable if something breaks, auto you'll most likely get stranded.

Better to learn manual, opens up your choice of cars.
    A dual clutch gearbox is not an 'auto'.
    Daily
    Corolla
    2nd Car
    Camry
    Name
    Joy, Happy, Love

Quote Originally Posted by The Panda View Post
    A dual clutch gearbox is not an 'auto'.
    Is there an auto mode for cars with dual clutches like DSG golfs and skylines?
    Top spec V8 whitegood << Finally hit the big milestone
    Daily
    V35
    Name
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Is there an auto mode for cars with dual clutches like DSG golfs and skylines?
    Yes, but if there was a manual offered I'm sure people would buy it
    Daily
    swift

First of all you can get your own car if you want a successful driver because sometime damages your car.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12