Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto vs Manual? Give me your experience and tips!

Daily
    Infiniti G37 Coupe
    Name
    Andrew Kats

Auto vs Manual? Give me your experience and tips!

Hello everyone! I'm a new driver and want to get into the whole JDM scene in the next few years. I don't own my own car YET, but I drive my friend's and family's cars, specifically my fathers Infiniti G37. I live in the U.S in New York City Area (Not exactly in the city but on the outskirts) aka Queens. Automatics are greatly hated on in the JDM world mainly because people who do not drive manuals are "pussies". I want to drive a stick but in my area its fairly difficult with traffic and such. I just want to hear it from you guys. Is it worth sticking it out? Should I get an auto first then a stick? I go to meets but am usually just mesmerized by everyone elses beautiful cars and hope to one day own one day own and stance my car ( Pref a wrx sti ) anyway thank you for anyone that helps. No hate please Wish the JDM scene was as nice here as it is in Australia! Have a great day guys!
    Daily
    Camry
    Name
    jeff

For every yin there is a yang,

there are always gonna be auto haters, but imo if you like what you drive then it shouldnt really matter if auto or manual. Hate is such a strong word, just because you drive an auto you are a pussy ? Not sure where you heard that from; go call a gtr35 owner that see what'll happen.

If you have 0 experience in driving, i suggest doing auto first, then when you have a feel of the maneuvering the car and get used to driving around, get used to the rules etc and stuff like that, then you can learn manual after that.

Manuals are more fun than auto imo - auto is more convenient - with traffic, parking is easier, dont have to worry much about stalling etc.

Learned how to drive around in an auto first, then manual after a few months, then went for manual license. Drove an auto daily for 3 years, then converted to manual, been driving that for a year now.
    Last edited by jeffy; 07-06-14 at 05:14 PM.
    Daily
    V35
    Name
    Cam

I learnt on an auto first. Now I drive manual and can't stand driving auto.

After a while you just get so used to driving a manual car that it becomes second nature. I'm lucky in that I don't have to drive to work each day, but even when I do get stuck in traffic I never catch myself wishing that I had an automatic car.

If people are calling you a pussy for driving an auto, tell them to go fuck themselves. I tell people that manuals are better to drive, but if they want an auto that

Quote Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
    Not sure where you heard that from; go call a gtr35 owner that see what'll happen.
    GT-R gearbox's are not some slushbucket 4 speed that tends to exist on jap cars.
    Daily
    Toyota Mark II JZX110
    2nd Car
    Toyota Chaser JZX100

I started on auto for a good 2 years then switched over to manual, and have owned plenty of cars both auto and manual since then.

I love the convenience of auto and the lazyness involved, especially in peak hour traffic on sydney roads. I do find overtaking abit scary though after driving a manual as getting into the right gear can be abit unpredictable.

When driving stick I find that its a whole lot more intimate and emotional, and theres a greater connection with the car. Also it makes driving alot more funner when driving on weekends as well.

For that reason I've had both 1 auto and 1 manual car as a daily/weekender respectfully for a few years. However, due to financial reasons I had to stick with 1 car as I could not justify the upkeep of paying rego/insurance for 2 cars. As such I knew I would be kicking myself if I bought an auto so now I've got a manual that I would have to drive every day.

I hold the value of the emotional/raw connection with a manual transmission over the convenience of stop-start traffic.
    Daily
    1996 -soontobepink- civic
    2nd Car
    1977 Civic
    Name
    Ben

My experience?
    Since we have barely any traffic, Manual is what everyone goes with. People pretty much say you're lazy and what not if you get an auto license down here. It's a bit looked down upon (at least in the younger car groups. Older guys don't give two shits)
    But my actual experience:
    I love manual. Prefer being able to control when the engine brakes, it going directly on power, choose what gear to enter a corner/ leave a corner with, etc. Not a huge fan of the autos with their lag in power and engine braking. Especially clunky gear changes of older boxes, and some current boxes.
    Manual is more fun to me, as heel and toe, bit of gear selection, etc etc. The auto's I've driven have just been horrible for driving with any spirit. Sure they have grunt, but they change up a gear at the wrong time, change down a gear at the wrong times, etc etc.
    I'm all manual here.
    For reference; Auto cars I have driven recently are a 2006~ prado and a 2009~ ve 60th anniversary edition. Both decent cars. I feel like I have no brakes without the engine braking... The auto engine shifting into 5th or something when I'm slowing down, making it harder to brake. Blah.
    4 doors > 2 doors
    Daily
    ECR33
    Name
    Mike

Peak hour traffic, auto, definitely.

Normal traffic/cruising, manual, definitely.

If you buy a performance car though, get it in manual, cos fun factor goes out the window in an auto.
    Daily
    1986 MA70
    2nd Car
    1991 E30 318iS
    Name
    Tom

Commuted through traffic for a year and a half, manual isn't bad at all if it's set up right. Auto definitely is more relaxing, but the fun of a manual when you're out for a fast drive far beats it.
    Daily
    Onitsuka Tigers
    2nd Car
    Accord Euro CU2
    Name
    Kevin

For me it depends on the car and what you want out of it

if its a sport cars, i'll definitely get manual because thats what its for!

if its a luxury car i'd stick with auto because i don't plan on gunning it here and there and plus i'll make it look nice, without performance mods as its not worth it for me

e.g. i have an accord euro now which is auto, and i plan on moving to an evo that'll be manual when i'm off my restricted licence
    Daily
    Nissan Stagea

I actually learnt how to drive using manual and was ok even in heavy traffic, commuting. No problems, I then moved onto auto and that was ok as well. Then moved back to manual.
    I actually differ when it comes to learning how to drive that you should learn how to drive in manual.
    Daily
    ep82gt, jzs147
    Name
    sotiri

my aristo is auto, my gt starlet is manual...

the auto shifts harder and faster than wat i can shift my starlet...

auto suits aristo, heard it transforms the car when converted to manual, but am happy with it as a slushy...

starlet is suited to manual, light, turbo, zips in and out of traffic, an auto would kill it...

i love both, stock autos arent the best, soft shifts, mass slippage, but once you start modifying it, can be awesome....

manual is fun, but so is my auto...the aristo did mid 12s before it liberated a turbine wheel (itll b mid 11s once back on the road) the starlet does 15 flat...

i love both, simple!
    Australia's fastest stock turbo aristo.
    And a slow turbo starlet to boot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast