Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Too's Slowwwww ED Civic Build, B-Series install begins pg.17

Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty View Post
    There is abit of fiddling around, you need to slip in a bolt and washer into the chassis rail in order for the brackets to bolt up to the chassis rail.
    Look under the back of the car and you should be able to see the 2 holes im talking about, approx 10mm diameter.
    Other than fitting these bolts, will I need anything else. That is to say should I take anything other than the sway bar from the DA9? Eg. bushing mount/ saddle clip thing, ends, etc.

Cheers for the help on this.
    Last edited by Too; 20-04-15 at 07:28 PM.
    Daily
    Imported JDM crown
    2nd Car
    Retro Honda

Crx one should fit up the front.
    Daily
    Rust bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Too View Post
    Other than fitting these bolts, will I need anything else. That is to say should I take anything other than the sway bar from the DA9? Eg. bushing mount/ saddle clip thing, ends, etc.

Cheers for the help on this.
    just grab all associated bolts, end links, D brackets, all the bushes and the chassis brackets.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

So here's something that happened today

I went to a pick-a-part wreckers in Dandenong. They didn't have the front bumper lip for a DA9, which I went partly for, so I thought I would get myself a consolation prize.

Here's what I got in the end:

DA9 Integra Rear trailing arms W/ assembly(and handbrake lines)

DA9 Integra Rear sway bar W/ associated mounts

DA9 Integra Rear lower control arms(since they have the hole to actually connect to the sway bar. They are also a 1.5mm longer so that's a little negative camber—I'm just regurgitating what I've read online).

DA9 Integra 40/40 brake proportioning valve

Most of the information for selecting these parts was taken from this site which seems pretty legit when compared against what I've been reading on forums here and there, I put the link up since its just nice to have it all in one spot giving one a kind of auto-wrecker shopping list.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a larger brake master cylinder( as recommended) to complete this upgrade, but in all honesty I doubt this car will really be pushed to the ragged edge.

Plans...

So hopefully I'll be able to install the rear sway bar sometime this week.
    Grifty how did you go about installing yours?
    I was thinking, and have read that, you have to drill up through the boot floor so you can 'drop' a bolt with washer down and then bolt the brackets onto that as they appear on the DA9.

The rear arms will have to wait since the rear trailing arm bushings are pretty worn and as I'd have to bleed the brakes once installing them I'd rather wait till I get hold of some braided lines and new bushings(for the entire car). Kind of just doing things once. As result of this I pretty much have to get saving.
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 08:15 PM.
    Daily
    Rust bucket

There's no need to drill holes in the boot floor.

Use a M12 or M10 bolt with washer and slip it into the hole shown below. Attach a metal wire onto the end of the bolt first in order to feed it easily.

Once the bolt is in try to tighten a nut onto it with the bracket on, if it keeps spinning what you do is add another 2 nuts to the bolt and tighten them against themselves. This way you can put a spanner on those 2 nuts tightened against each other to keep the bolt from spinning while you tighten it.

Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Cheers Grifty, I'll have a go at doing that.
    I cant wait to see what the difference will be. Night and day I imagine.

Ps.I decided to get on with my ED and ordered:
    *Energy Suspension "HyperFlex Master Kit" W/ Prothane Rear Compensator Arm and Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings.

*Nolathane Rear trailing arm bushing kit( I ordered this because it was cheaper,and would be easier to install than what was being offered by Energy Suspension).

* HEL Braided brake lines

......so the wait begins.
    Last edited by Too; 19-02-15 at 04:47 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

MINOR UPDATE: Fitted up the bolts for sway bar mounts this afternoon...

Uses M8 x 35mm Hi-ten bolt W/ M10 washer(since it was the biggest washer that would fit through the hole the bolts had to pass through, and I figured it would give the bolts the biggest foot print to anchor themselves with).

I am in the processing of giving all the parts that I picked up from the wreckers a bit of a scrub up so they are in working order. The down side of this is that my 'handle-things-once' approach is creating a lot of questions regarding other purchases: new discs, new pads being the newest to go on the list.

I had thoughts about, after some reading, getting hold of a DA Integra front brake setup(whole knuckle would be needed) as the discs are 20mm larger in diameter.

However, I've since binned this idea since simply because I think with good pads, fluid, braided lines and rear disc setup the car will be sufficient for my needs.
    It would be nice to have a 20mm larger rotors setup but considering the the work that comes with getting hold of the whole knuckle setup(big drive to the wreckers) I think its best just to improved the OEM setup with a bit of maintenance. The DA9 knuckles which I need to run this setup are heavier too; I mean, I want to stop well but I do want to get going in the first place!

I have postponed the install of the sway bar since I want to wait till my bushing kit to arrive so then I can have a bit of a field day while the car is off the ground(I think I'll try put the rear trailing arms in too).

....but anyway, you can see what I mean about this 'handle-things-once' method causing some problems.
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 08:16 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Nolathane rear trailing arm bushes installed!

I figured I should give the trailing arms the once over so I scrubbed them up, and put the new bushings in.

It were a pretty straight forward affair: just hammer the old ones out using a wooden block, and then hammer the new ones in. The only drama I had was fitting the Circlips that hold the washer and pivot pin in place, since the machined groove for the Circlip didn't sit flush with the edge of the bushing I had to simultaneously push the pin up to expose the groove while attempting to install the Circlip. This is all while it was pissing down with rain. No shed, FML.

In other bushing news...

Energy Suspension "HyperFlex Master Kit" is getting closer.

I think in the next week or so I'll order the new rotors(F: DBA 187S, R: DBA 475S) and other associated brake parts so once the bushing arrive it can just all happen: new brake setup, new bushings, boom, boom, boom!
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 08:17 PM.
    Daily
    EF9
    Name
    G

tell us how the bushings go!
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by g View Post
    tell us how the bushings go!
    I'd be interested to see what the difference in 'feel' is between Hardrace hardened rubber bushings and Polyurethane bushing.

I cant wait to get all this gear in.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast