Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Too's Slowwwww ED Civic Build, B-Series install begins pg.17

Daily
    01 s2k
    Name
    Todd Higgins

i really like these types of threads where an old car gets new life put into it. keep up the great work man
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by toddxxx View Post
    i really like these types of threads where an old car gets new life put into it. keep up the great work man
    Thanks buddy! I really enjoy reading your build thread. I think the path you're taking with your AP1 is really exciting, using only parts that make a real differences, that OEM parts are fine if they are considered do the job they need to well.

This build is slow going that for sure! I really want this car to be as good, or better than it was when it was brand new, since overall I like the feel of it and just want to highlight that, obviously with my own flare.

I'm super keen to make a duckbill style lip for this thing, Kaido racer style. A trip to Bunnings is coming up.
    Last edited by Too; 25-02-15 at 09:15 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Bit of a pic heavy post.
    So my mail box has been getting a bit of a work out recently:

Energy Suspension "HyperFlex Master Kit" is HERE!
    Spread out... I haven't open up the individual packets yet for fear of loosing something, but everything has their own installation instructions which is handy.

My HEL braided lines arrived too. I'm looking forward to getting these in along with the other brake upgrade stuff, rear disc setup, discs, etc.

I picked up a number of tools that I thought would be wise for the suspension and brake rejuvenation session about to happen.

TORQUE WRENCH

FLARE NUT SPANNER

Gumtree has provided a number of useful little things recently.
    $20 axel stands
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 09:05 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Heres how thing started this morning.

I couldn't wait to get started!
    First bushing to be tackled, simply because it was easiest, was the shifter linkage bushing. Since its a point of contact this'll be one of those thing that will just make the car feel so much better.

After cutting the lip of the edge of the existing bushing it was simply a matter of pushing it out and cleaning up the mounting surfaces.
    The Energy Suspension bushing was a two part bushing which made the whole install simple.

ON TO THE REAR SHIFTER BUSHING

One thing that applies for bushings is that you have to just lather on the grease since most of it ends up getting pushed out.

I noticed the boot for the shifter linkage is looking in a bad shape, something that will have to be sorted.
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 09:07 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Steering rack bushings.
    The first thing was to undo the bolts holding the steering column and the other which secured the steering column to the universal joint. I'm not entirely sure if this was necessary but I figured that it would give me more play(which was most important for the drivers side bushing)

Back under the car.....starting with the passenger side bushing.

Once the bracket was off(2x 14mm bolts), I ditch the old bushing, cleaned up the mounting surfaces and apply a liberal amount of bushing grease.

You can see in the image above that the bushing wasn't large enough so it was a matter of cutting a small section from the old bushing so that the mounting bracket can clamp down properly. I think it is important that the two side that the mounting bracket clamps down on were in contact as much of the new bushing as possible.
    ]

....all back together

Now the drivers side.
    The first thing that needed to be removed was this splash guard protecting the power steering piping. Once removed I could gain access to the rack mounts.
    It looks pretty wet under there, something that I'll investigate later.

Here are the two 14mm bolts that hold the rack on the drivers.

Once the bolts are out you can get at the bushings and you can pull the bottom half out, they're two part bushings.

Once the bottom part of the bushing is out, having made sure the passenger side is loose, or entirely free you can lever the rack down so that you can pull out the sleeve and top half of the bushing.

With that done it was a matter of simply bolting it back together...

I kept going with a few other thing. Here is the last bit of progress for the day: Drivers side strut, upper control arm and lower control arm out. More work to be done on my next day off.
    Last edited by Too; 07-03-15 at 09:08 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

This strut brace was a pleasant surprise as my first day of suspension work concluded.

I'm going to give it a lick of paint so its a bit more subtle and install it once all this other work is sorted. If anyone is interested it was marked as coming from a DC2 Integra.
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 09:08 PM.
    Daily
    celica st184

keep up the awesome work

something for lolz
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by st162er View Post
    keep up the awesome work
    Cheers mate, and thanks for the image I love it..

On the subject of work, these screws are the worst thing ever!

I seriously spent most of the time I snuck in this afternoon to work on the ED stressing about how I was going to get these out without an impact screwdriver especially since the last person to touch them obviously though it would be a good idea to destroy the heads with god knows what tools.....I eventually, with much messing around, I managed to get them loose using my housemate's cordless impact driver. This wasn't without a plenty of hammering of driver bits into the screw heads.

Anyway, at the end of day they're all loose so the brake upgrade is still good to go.

Here's how it stands at the moment, on both sides.
    I'm just waiting on the balljoint separator I ordered to arrive before things move ahead, I think its better to be waiting on tool/parts to arrive than feeling like you dont have the time to work on the car.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

I decided to tackle a small part of the brake upgrade today, swapping the brake proportion valve over to the 40/40 taken from the DA9 Integra that donated the rear trailing arms/rear disc setup. This was not the simple task I thought it would be. Undoing the flare nuts was a pain since the fittings are sitting practically on top of one another, this in combination with limited access really made me work to get this sucker swapped over.

After much cursing I managed to swap it over. I'm so glad that I bought the flare nut spanner, I think it would have been worser hell that the job was already with nuts getting round off, damaged, etc.

....note how I have gloves, then starts working, then proceed to takes them off and gets dirty.

I investigated the PCV to sus out exactly what it was inside: it pretty much is an S-bend which gas passes through, not much of valve really. Knowing this, and seeing that it was thoroughly soaked with oil I figured it time to designing a catch can set up. In the mean time I took the filter material out and gave it a good spay out with degreaser.
    Last edited by Too; 08-03-15 at 12:53 AM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

While I've been tinkering away on the car I've been dreaming of what engine I would like to slot in, eventually.

Part of me wonders what the possibilities are of getting a VTEC B-something, or even a non-VTEC...probably not, and going a carb'd route, more precisely SS Works flat slide carb kit. I guess this does get around a number of problems associated with putting a EFI engine in a originally carburettor powered car, but as it stands there is plenty of time for research.

I guess the questions I need to answer are:

What is needed for a B-series install in an ED chassis?

How much does a carb'd B-series reduce the size of list provided by the question above?

What are the actual benefits of a carb'd B-series, hypothetically a VTEC engine, and what is needed to run a carb setup(mechanical dizzy?)?

The only reason that a VTEC B-series would be chosen for this type of thing is because of higher redline/ better balance and availability of bolt ons, obviously not because of VTEC capabilities which would not be able to be taken advantage using a carb setup(as far as I understand).

This is just a day-dreams, those that have done an EFI swap feel free to shed any light on this subject.

It seems like my motive for this build are changing......

Ps. Something that is fun is the SS works blog, its nice to see what a diverse shop they are, handling bodywork, engine building, suspension mods, all while developing parts.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast