Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Too's Slowwwww ED Civic Build, B-Series install begins pg.17

Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by dr1ftaX View Post
    Love the DIY contour tool! Also loving your plans for the lip. Great build, keep it up!
    Thanks mate! Once the lip is finished I'll have to have a satay party!

Here's some more. I'm in a bit of a repainting zone at the moment so I decided to give the heat shield a fresh coat of black.

Before

Mid

After

Here are some other things about the get given a lick of paint; rad stays, and a random rusty-ass bracket that has bothered me from day one.

Also, here is where the lip template is at:

I applied some tape to hold the various pieces of cardboard together and ridged, and also ran some along the meeting face to smooth out the meeting points. Next step is to get a larger bit of cardboard and do a full sized test/transfer of this shape, spanning the whole bumper.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

So this is how the day started, looking at this relic from the past.

First thing was to remove the handbrake cables, once all the under car fittings were removed( 4x 12mm bolts holding the cable in place) the next step was to remove some interior trim so that the cable could be fed out.

Once the rear seats were out of the way and a few more clips were removed you're able to lift up the carpet and feed the cable through. A little tip here dishwashing liquid made this very easy.

Here is the showdown: Disc Vs Drum.

As things are in this picture, the lower control arm, compensator arm and camber arm are all removed; only the brake line is attached.

Once the brake hose was undone I found the best way to stop all the fluid from draining and going everywhere was to use the bleed nipple cover and a little bit of wood to plug the hole.

By lunch time the rear trailing arms, camber and compensator arms, handbrake and brake lines were installed. You can see the strut is missing from this picture as they were getting a quick scrub up.

The next step was to bleed the brake system. I had heard about doing this super long hose method as a way to ensure that if you have installed a new brake proportion valve, and/or master cylinder that you don't have to go through a bunch of fluid bleeding them out.

You can see in this image that the old fluid is being bled into this bottle. Once It had bled out enough and new fluid was visible, I swapped to the master cylinder reservoir so that I didnt waste any fresh fluid. This method was done on all sides.

After a little afternoon walk I had these in my hands: my new RDA slotted front discs and non-slotted rears.

...so the next thing to do was to break out these guys from the bag of Honda parts I bought a while ago and get to work.

OLD DISC

After it was removed, in typical OCD fashion I gave the dust cover/splash guard a clean up.

...then it was in with the new pads and new discs.

HERE is where we're at at the end of this huge day of tinkering: Disc brake rear trailing arms in with braided lines on both side, brakes bled at all four corners, new rear discs and pads.

So whats left?
    Fit rear lower control arm bushings(once they arrive), fit rear LCA, bolt up sway-bar, front discs and pads. DONE, at least as far as suspension work goes.

Bonus progress:

I managed to get hold of some free plywood so i figured i may as well just get to it an make up a 'solid mockup' for my wind fairing. I think i might break out the contour gauge and get the curve super tight for the final version, which will most likely be made of black tint acrylic sheet, aka Perspex.
    Last edited by Too; 22-12-16 at 09:31 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Too; 30-03-15 at 09:51 PM.
    Daily
    Imported JDM crown
    2nd Car
    Retro Honda

It's not that kind'a car. Don't turn your civic into a ricey p plaer type thing.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance-X View Post
    It's not that kind'a car. Don't turn your civic into a ricey p plaer type thing.
    Fender mirrors aren't ricey are they?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/fender-mirrors/
    Last edited by Too; 26-01-17 at 02:15 PM.
    Daily
    Toyota Corolla E12

Hmm I'm not a fan of those mirrors actually.

Grtz
    Daily
    1996 -soontobepink- civic
    2nd Car
    1977 Civic
    Name
    Ben

Eh, do whatever you like. Your car.
    But, definitely mock them up to see if you like the final result. If you like the look of it, plan the ever living shit out of how you put them in there (not that you wouldn't). Drilling into the guards/ fenders isn't fun.
    4 doors > 2 doors
    Daily
    Rust bucket

Fender mirrors were actually a JDM option, finding them though is not a easy task. Maybe photoshop them on or look for photos of one already fitted with them.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    Eh, do whatever you like. Your car.
    But, definitely mock them up to see if you like the final result. If you like the look of it, plan the ever living shit out of how you put them in there (not that you wouldn't). Drilling into the guards/ fenders isn't fun.
    Yeah plenty of planning will go into these if they are a go ahead. I still not sure since they hold a number of positives: one being better visibility and the obvious aesthetic which I think might be a cool nod to the first generation civic, these both are at the cost of certain practicality though: being powered adjustment, and the obvious 'damage' done by fitting them.

As as wasteful as this sounds, since they're 40 dollars for the pair delivered I might pick up a set and just mock them up, see if it like them and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty View Post
    Fender mirrors were actually a JDM option, finding them though is not a easy task. Maybe photoshop them on or look for photos of one already fitted with them.
    How did you find out that they were an option? Honda accessory/dealer option brochure?

I guess we can imagine something like this but less low, less wide, less over-fendered, more hatchback-ish, more white, and much much less lame photo filter effected. Oh and with black mirrors not chrome, pretty much entirely everything except its a ED/EF civic with fender mirrors

Also to be clear, Renaissance-X, this is a look I dig but in a world of police and roads that are not billiard table smooth is impractical, and as a result is not worth pursuing in my own build.
    Last edited by Too; 01-04-15 at 12:34 PM.
    Daily
    1996 -soontobepink- civic
    2nd Car
    1977 Civic
    Name
    Ben

Only thing is they may be a bit too big for it. The ones on that red car seem a bit too big for it. If that makes sense

Like, these ones seem better

But still pretty big. (big in terms of base, shaft, etc)
    4 doors > 2 doors