Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Too's Slowwwww ED Civic Build, B-Series install begins pg.17

Daily
    Imported JDM crown
    2nd Car
    Retro Honda

Bucket seat looks good. I don't mind the ratyness

Got a 3 day ban or something fro what I said about the mirros... was trying to be nice about it.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance-X View Post
    Bucket seat looks good. I don't mind the ratyness

Got a 3 day ban or something fro what I said about the mirros... was trying to be nice about it.
    This?
    It's not that kind'a car. Don't turn your civic into a ricey p plaer type thing.
    You made your view on the mirror option very clear. In all honesty it wasn't that constructive as far as feedback goes but I do understand there is a look that has popularised fender mirrors that is not for everyone. My motive are more inline with what is mentioned in the article that was linked to the Japanese taxi image I posted when responded before.

Given your name, are you building up a CRX? pics or build thread link preeze.
    You must see what i'm trying to do here, i'm trying get a gauge for how you would build a car by seeing one you are building or have built, from there I can decide how to take your opinions into consideration.
    Last edited by Too; 18-04-15 at 05:19 PM.
    Daily
    Imported JDM crown
    2nd Car
    Retro Honda

Sent you a PM about it.
    Daily
    Toyota Hilux SR5
    2nd Car
    E30 1988 2d
    Name
    Dupain

Great read. The EDs were like the coolest things back then. Love the rebuild, keep it up.
    Daily
    JB627
    2nd Car
    DECF28R
    Name
    mrlazy

Yeah, same.

Really enjoying how the cars coming along.

No idea why I was banned for saying my asked for opinion, but I bet I can guess who the moderator that did that is.

Nice update btw.
    don't worry harry, I'll protect u
    Daily
    Toyota Corolla E12

Awesome seat!
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupain View Post
    Great read. The EDs were like the coolest things back then. Love the rebuild, keep it up.
    I've wanted an ED for about tens years but it just never happened, then when I was looking for a car this came up on Carsales in Adelaide I had to jump on it.
    I'm the third owner of this car, which feels pretty good considering the car is 26 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Noedel View Post
    Awesome seat!
    Thanks mate, I cant wait to see what your next move is with your car!!

PS: Wind fairing is 99% complete, I just have to sand the edges and fit it to the car. The material I found to make the fairing is kind of like shower door glass, and when I say found I mean on the side of the road found. It has a square/grid texture on one side, smooth-ish on the other. It should look pretty wacky, pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by Too; 20-04-15 at 03:51 PM.
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

As promised: Wind fairing.

Also progress has been made on the front lip/spoiler template.

Here the inner curve has been shaped to fit the bumper better, and the outer curve/leading edge has the same contour as the inner curve, which I think is nice since it effectively brings the bumper line forward, not really changing the the front profile of the car.

I ended up trimming the lip so that it was a little shorter, not spanning the entire width of the bumper.
    This choice takes cues from many different cars, I guess the image below illustrates the importance of the lip being smaller in width than the front of the car best, following the line from the bumper

As it stands now I am yet to decide if I will reduce the depth of the lip(10-20mm), so its not so low and a bit more subtle.
    PS. I'm still not sure on what material to build this thing out of.
    Last edited by Too; 20-04-15 at 03:53 PM.
    Daily
    1996 -soontobepink- civic
    2nd Car
    1977 Civic
    Name
    Ben

Only thing I'd say about the lip not going all the way around the side is; It's actually got a single piece bumper, vs the vw having that little strip bumper and the facey thing under it. Which, you see the lip goes with the lines. The vw is also a bit more square. It may not work as well on the civic, but, see how you go
    4 doors > 2 doors
    Daily
    ED6 CIVIC
    2nd Car
    is not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    Only thing I'd say about the lip not going all the way around the side is; It's actually got a single piece bumper, vs the vw having that little strip bumper and the facey thing under it. Which, you see the lip goes with the lines. The vw is also a bit more square. It may not work as well on the civic, but, see how you go
    Cheers! Here is a picture of the previous shape so you can see it with more of a wrap around. You can see in the area circled that the lip would either, become too thin around that section (especially if end of the lip is cut at an angle similar to the "final" template), or end up having to extend wider and become more side canard thing on the side.

I had a look at a number of different cars and I noticed that the lips generally don't extend beyond the lights, I know that is easy said since most cars with these types of lips don't have wrap around lights, but I think its important to keep the main section the lip between the lights to keep the [visual] balance right. i dont know if that makes sense, like you said its a matter of trying and seeing how it goes.

I get what your saying about the the Golf, the lip kind of follows panel gap of the guards and that front bit(cowl??). Since I dont have such a clear line to go off the shape was determined by the bumper curve at the corners, and the balance between the wrap around and depth of the lip. Looking at the picture of how the lip looks now I think I will shorten, make it less 'deep', for sure.

Ps. Broadview mirror provides broad views. . .

. . .especially in a car with a lot of glass.
    Last edited by Too; 20-04-15 at 08:35 PM.