Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Hey guys been browsing the forum for a bit and have seen some beautiful & crazy cars so I thought it’s time for me to put my progress on here as well, I hope you guys will enjoy this as all the content I have from 2010 to recent will be going up so this may take a very long time haha.
    Anyway forgot to introduce myself the name is Greg and I would like you introduce you to "May" a 97 Honda CRX Gen 3 or probably most of us know it as the Del Sol, its a great fun little car that gets me to A and B started just by doing some small things to the car and adding unnecessary items e.g. LEDS, but then is becoming bit by bit into a car I would like to track one day haha anyway lets dive into it!

8th April 2010

Here is the car in its cleanest form (more on this later)

First thing I did was add some blue floor mats and seat covers to hide the old 90’s zig zag seat look. From here on the car stayed stock for two years
    Last edited by greg677; 16-09-17 at 10:23 PM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

26th January 2012

Having it stock for a while I wanted to tackle my first simple DIY. I decided to spray my brake calipers dust shields and the rotor hubs.
    So it began with the usual insert MCM jack up your car comment here and removed the wheels, started sanding down the brake dust off the calipers and rotor then masking everything up and giving it a spray and the end results were quite nice.

Last edited by greg677; 16-09-17 at 10:22 PM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

29th July 2012

I decided to add some speakers and a new head unit and the speakers in the car were still original paper cone pioneers WOW and the head unit was basic Sony deck.
    So I went out and brought some Alpine SPR-60’s and an Alpine x305s head unit so installation was under way!! Look at the difference between old and new depth much?

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

30th July 2012

Then came to wiring the head unit in (first time I have ever worked on electronics remember this for later on haha) at first this was quite daunting but then once it was all done I found it wasn’t that bad unless you follow the instructions and make sure you do your wiring properly soldering and heat shrinking your connections then your all good

Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 02:26 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

7th September 2012

Now is when I start getting a bit creative I thought to myself I have these nice speakers and a fancy head unit only to listen to music?
    Nahh I don’t like that I said in my silly head so I thought of an idea to see if I could get an iPod touch and see if it would fit in the centre vents of the car and luckily enough IT DID!
    So I went crazy trying to find a way to mount this iPod within the car as I had a spare 32GB model collecting dust so this is my first attempt of making a custom part I guess?

Here is what we are working with today, we have to make that iPod fit into that centre vent. Now most of you would be like how can that fit in well by rotating it 90 degrees it will fit in just fine.
    But Greg if the iPod is 90 degrees you won’t be able to use it unless you only use it for videos and music because they are the only apps that rotate?
    Well that may be true but being a techy kind of guy when it comes to these things I have managed to make the home screen also rotate so that I am able to use the iPod even when it’s rotated so it will look seamless.

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

MORE TO COME have to wait for pictures to finish uploading.... ah well will be worth the wait
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Continuing on as all pictures are finished uploading!!

Here I got some 5mm thick acrylic and traced out the inner part of the vent so that I can glue this piece inside

Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 02:27 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

8th September 2012

Here is when I start placing the iPod behind the acrylic to get an idea of where to cut so that I can access the screen and buttons

All measured up

Nicely cut

And sanding begins!!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 02:27 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

9th September 2012

Now I also cut another piece that matches but this time this piece will house the iPod in place so I can remove it easily if I need to anything to the device or if I have to change cables etc.
    Once I got the piece cut I put the iPod on the bench all taped up and then placed the rear piece on top of it then using a heat gun I molded the rear piece of the iPod in so that it sits perfectly and wont wobble around.

After the rear price was done I went back to work on the front fascia by filling it sanding filling etc took a while, and painted it until I got the result I wanted and I must say this looks fantastic for a first timer
    Here there are four screw holes to hold the iPod and the backing plate in place keeping it nice and secure

A little bit more filler (didnt take a pic silly) then sprayed Primer!!

Colour!!

Completed Product
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 02:28 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

And after configuring the software side of things the iPod was ready to be placed into its new home YESS!

And here is the unit finally installed in the car (it looks like it’s supposed to be there)

After having type-r speakers and the head unit and iPod having red colouring I decided to change the seat covers and a couple of other things red

So after all this explaining and showing my process of the car I have only managed to show you 30 out of a rough 350 images and these images have made the cut I had a lot more but these images will explain it quite well next time I begin installing some interior LED's to further make the interior of the car red too much haha.
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 02:29 AM.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast