Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

15th December 2012

So after making my interior a tiny bit red and having some holiday time I decided that I would like some lighting for when I drive at night.
    I grabbed some red led strips and made some small harnesses so they all connect to one 12v circuit within the car I chose the cigarette lighter socket light so when I turn on my lights at night they automatically turn on
    (later on I decided to have a manual switch just in case I get told off from having them)

Finished making mini harness

Added some plugs near the LED's as well just in case they die I wont have to remove all the wiring makes it more easier to access

12+ and ground harness installed

Where some of the lights where installed

Completed product (silly phone making it difficult to see much brighter than that!!)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:47 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

27th - 30th January 2013

I noticed a small bubble in my clear beside the drivers rear quarter I decided I wanted to sand it out…
    Yeah that never works on paint haha so I ended up re sanding the entire panel and applying putty for the minor imperfections then shot the sealer along with the colour and clear.
    The clear came out flat so me and my old man got down to buffing it for a couple of hours and the end result looks brilliant!

Small sanding...

Turned out to be much worse

Primered

Colour and clear (look how flat it came out)

After a lot of buffing with cutting compound and polish here is final product (mmm yummy)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:47 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

2nd February 2013 - 1st March 2013

(Get ready for an information overload!!!)

From here on in this is where it somewhat goes a bit downhill on certain areas but hey we all learn from mistakes or should I say previous owners mistakes? (Not sure that’s possible haha)

Ok so I noticed that my rear window bottom trim piece the rubber coating started peeling of revealing the aluminium that was behind it so I ordered a new trim piece from Honda along with all the necessary clips so I can ensure the install goes 100% well let’s just say it didn’t go as planned.

To get to the rear trim piece you have to twist it inwards so that it pops off the car, to do this you need to remove the rear power window and its components, which is on one big black panel fastened in by 12 bolts surrounding the area the panel should be weatherproofed with some silicon that dries on the outside but remains soft on the inside so that this panel is easy to remove and the original sealant is of a white colour, so it just needs a little bit of movement and the sealant should come off then you clean it up apply new stuff and off you go!.........................

Well not in this case this rear panel has been removed before and whoever reinstalled it put the wrong stuff on probably sikaflex so I tried to remove it by moving it around and it would not budge at all, I tried slipping a card between the panels to try and slice it… didn’t work

(Prepare for cringing…)
    The only possible way I could get this off without damaging the body of the car was to pry off the black panel while being EXTREMELY careful to not pry it too much otherwise the rear glass would break. When I was slowly prying I could hear creaking sounds and it was freaking me out because I thought I was flexing the glass, but after an unknown amount of time I managed to free the panel from the body of the car while still keeping the glass and the sliding mechanism of the window in tact “phew……….” Here is a picture with the rear window removed and all the silicone all over the fuel pump access is…

Quite a messy sight... (my thoughts where what have I done. I'm sure most of us have experienced that at one point or another)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:48 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Because the silicone chewed though the paint somehow and leaving some areas bare I decided to reprime the area so no oxidation occurs

Here is the rear window in one piece, the bottom of the panel is completely mangled from me prying it off…

After the rear window was removed I got to finally get to the rear window trim piece to take it off and install the new one here’s a pic of the old and new trim pieces along with all the hardware necessary to install it

Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:48 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Now when I went to install the new trim piece upon further inspection I noticed a paint line on the exterior of the car and with light sanding it revealed some primer (sigh)
    So I went and got some paint mixed in a can and fixed it immediately.

Grrrrr dodgy paint work

Fixed
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:49 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Now I had attempted to reinstall the rear window but because the panel was so damaged water would leak into the cabin no matter what I tried and I would prefer a new panel.
    So for about 3 weeks I was without a rear window until I found a used one and purchased it straight away, it came will all the components except the rear window so that was all good.
    When it got delivered I took it out and removed everything from it and gave each component a very good clean.

Cleaning

Installed window lifter

Window installed
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:49 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Once the window was all ready to go I went back In the car and used a product by Shelly’s called “D-Mastic” which forms a hard bond on any area that is exposed to air but in the inside is still soft so if the rear window needs to come out for any reason it will come off like butter “literally” here a pic applying a very thick bead so that when I install the panel back it oozes out of the ends and then I can clean it with spirits to have a leak free cabin
    (All this just to replace a rear trim piece yeah fun times haha)

That thick layering of goop
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:50 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

After that was all said and done I noticed some of the wiring was exposed and not in the conduit tubing stuff so I headed out and got some and then wrapped it around the wires and cable tying them (haha dodgy way) so it looks a bit cleaner.
    In this pic some of the wires are exposed and the rest are all wrapped up

A Before shot of the wiring (some wires are exposed)

Drivers Side

Passengers Side where the ground junction block is, also the roof warning used to be there I removed because I got sick of the car beeping for ten seconds every time the roof was removed and you started driving.
    The warning basically alerted you that the roof was off (seriously I think I might know that haha)

Center

Ahh looks much better
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:50 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

24th March 2013

During the end of March there was always one place I never looked at because it was just too cluttered so I refrained from opening the engine bay until I decided I want to try and clean it up a little bit to make it presentable. This is how cluttered a stock CRX engine bay is...

Reference Money Shot
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:51 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

25th March 2013

From here on in it gets intimidating I know most people dread wiring so I began bit by bit removing brackets and relocating certain items out of the way to make it that tad cleaner underneath (also did some dodgys at the same time not cool at all haha)
    For example the original location of these plugs were on the left strut tower but I removed the bracket and shoved these plugs underneath the battery.

Hiding the left shock tower plugs under the battery (super not cool ultra dodgy extremely dangerous and silly thing to do)

Removing the under splash shield and air box resonator
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:51 AM.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast