Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

15th June 2013

This day/night it was raining so much and it was rushing down I noticed this because when I took a left turn the next day all this water literally fell onto my lap as the water must have pooled on the Targa top roof seals I got quite the shock.

After heading out to the shops and arriving home I had notice that the drivers fender had a white mist in it and then I realised what had happened the clear on the fender just before the hood meets the clear was kinda chipped so when it down poured a lot, the water had enough pressure to force itself in between the clear and base coat and as a result lifted the clear right up.

So all I could do at the time was to sand it down to bare metal and apply primer over it until I could be bothered getting the entire car resprayed (which may never happen now) it took me the whole day to sand it to a point the paint would crack off.

NOOO Y U DO DIS?

Removing the flaky clear

Primered by the end of the day / beginning of the night
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:59 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

29th June 2013

Seeing as it’s the end of a financial year I decided to upgrade my head unit as the Alpine x305s did not have Bluetooth unless you got the "Parrot" attachment and even then it doesn't support music via Bluetooth it only does hands free calls...
    So with my friend needing a head unit I sold him mine and then went down and grabbed the Alpine iDE-178BT seeing as I didn’t need a fancy colour screen on my head unit because I now had the iPod for a screen now.
    I also decided to redo the moisture plastic barriers within the door panels with some fabric (the stuff they use for sub boxes) so that I don’t get any rattle sound from the speakers.

Insulating the door skin

Adding another layer to the door panel

Out with the new

And in with the newer!!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:00 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

17th July 2013

I decided that now would be the time I relocate my battery to the boot of the car if I want the engine bay to look clean.
    So I grabbed some 2 gauge wiring (bit overkill) and started making brand new wires from the starter, alternator, positive and ground wires from the battery, finally no more dodgy starter and alternator wires

New wiring with lugs and conduit tubing

Mocking up cable routing

More mocking up

Now for wiring this long an inline fuse 100A (future note it wasn't enough) is a must just in case any shorts occur you do not want your car to go up in flames because you cheaped out on a fuse or you wiring was poorly done.
    (Yes I know thats why I'm doing this to restore myself from being dodgy no more!)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:01 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

20th July 2013

This time I decided to solder all the lugs to the cables so that way they never have a chance of falling out.
    So once I got all the cables made up I got some conduit tubing and sealed them up for extra protection it also makes it easier to blend in with the engine bays dark colour scheme.

Soldering on aluminum tin is so annoying the stands just pop off due to extreme heat...

Positive battery wire done!

Fast forward to all cables being complete and loomed up! Here we have the battery positive and negative, starter, alternator and the ABS power cables

ABS Power cable installed in the ABS fuse box!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:02 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

21st July 2013

The ABS Fuse box was close to the passenger headlight, I wanted to move it a bit further back so I made another bracket that bolts on to the left shock tower where the fuse box could sit.
    Also redid the conduit tubing for this as I had to separate the headlight harness and ABS harness.

Making the ABS fuse box bracket (this one failed so I made another piece)

The Bracket installed on the left shock tower (where the engine wiring used to be)

ABS Fuse box mock install

Separating the headlight loom and the ABS loom and redoing the tubing for it
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:03 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

ABS Harness separated and ready to loom back up!

All Finished nice and pretty
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:03 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

26th July 2013

After I got all the wiring installed the car started instantly and idled beautifully... well at least I thought it did, after that crank that could would no longer start.
    So trying to figure out what I have done wrong or that the battery could be too far but how no way the cabling I used was inadequate unless...
    The cable I was using was aluminium tin the lower grade stuff, so I decided to get some copper 2 gauge cabling I grabbed 10 meters of it was a fair amount of $$$ but I wanted better quality wiring. I set off and redid all my connections.

Copper 2 gauge cable and some cable lugs

Look at those strands much easier to solder with

but nope still did not start after trying to figure out what exactly happened it could only come down to one thing...

Yep somehow my starter managed to die after I made my 1st set of cables so I got the starter fixed and now the car runs perfect!

Reminds me for the first King of the hill episode where they blame the starter haha
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:04 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

10th August 2013

Whilst getting my battery relocation done I managed to also spray some parts that sit in the engine bay BLACKKKKKK to make the engine bay not have too many contrasting colors.

Heatshield and spark plug cover

Radiator and plate number bracket

Radiator stay, bolts and wiper washer and power steering caps
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:04 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

16th August 2013

On top of that I wanted to relocate my radiator and washer bottles to the boot.
    So I got two plastic overflow bottles from super cheap and cable tied them together and made a bracket so that it stays put (I still have this in my car DODGYYY I really need to get one fabbed up any takers? haha)
    Also the washer bottle I didn’t do at the same time because it would mean that I would need to relocate the pump and wiring. It would have not looked good at the time (later on this is done... quite nicely hehe)

Radiator overflow and Washer bottle (dodgy)

Making a bracket that wraps the bottles

Cut and measuring the bending points
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:05 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

18th August 2013

All bent up and holes drilled ready to do into the very thick false floor

After all that was done the boot started to look nice and can easily access the fluids and battery (Also makes it 1000 times easier to jump start )

Boot Install

Close up of fluids, fuse and battery

After a while I managed to clean the engine bay and this is what it looks like at this point (you could eat dinner of it haha)

Although it looks clean it still looks cluttered (had this thought in the back of my head still)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:05 AM.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast