Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

15th September 2013

When I would drive around I was noticing more road noise probably from the tyres getting worn out so I decided to get some foam and install it in some areas to kinda lower the noise down a bit.

Removing A-pillar interior panels

After a clean I put some double sided tape and some cut out form so that it fits within the panels

Ready to be reinstalled

Also filled the top of the car with the foam as well

The noise got a bit lower so I was happy with the results
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:06 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

December 2013

Because this paint was sprayed on quite badly it now has sun damage and was not resprayed correctly even though I have been waxing it etc, I've learned to live with it

Also when I was looking for a park in the shopping centre during the very times for Christmas approaching I found a fellow friend with a different set of OEM wheels nice
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:11 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

26th February 2014

After taking a break from doing things to the car and just driving it and having fun I thought to myself I think I should try and make this a track car one day and when I have more free time after I finish uni and all that then I can take the car out to the track and have some real fun! But then in the other side of my brain I said nahh it would be too much work to do. The opportunity presented itself but not in the way I wanted it to be...

2 days later...

Ill leave it here with a cliff hanger bit tired from typing this all night last night and getting all the photos ready so I could just throw all the info on the forum quite easily, thanks for reading up until this point because after this is when we get into the nitty gritty
    (gotta find a way to type this all up!)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:11 AM.
    Daily
    s13
    Name
    dan

Good to see your having go cleaning it up.

Shame about the accident
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Thanks i was really getting into cleaning it internally if that makes sense?

Yeah the accident kinda hit me more mentally than physically as so as it happened I popped the engine bay to see if there was any structural damage, thank goodness there wasn't.
    Daily
    lancer
    2nd Car
    lancer
    Name
    jose

then whats next? i always loved the look of these cars since i saw them back then!!
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

So heres what happened its one of those situations that could have been avoided completely if you prepared yourself beforehand, during work that morning I had realised I forgotten something at home and the boss needed it quite badly so I decided I would go back home and get it.

Reaching about 3/4 of the way home I went on the roundabout I go through every day, and the way I was coming from this time that the entry point of the round about is a bit higher and halfway though the road dips in a little bit.
    During a very light mist of rain I went through (2nd exit) and at the very last second I noticed a very dark patch during the midpoint and it trailed to the 3rd exit, at that point I knew what it was and it covered the inside and half of the outside lane.

(Enter life flashing moment)
    Next thing I remember was the front end braking loose (the dip in the road also encouraged this) and heading onto oncoming traffic where 2 cars were ready to enter the roundabout, the process in my head was either I let the car continue its course and hit these two cars or plow into a residents fence.

But because the tyres where soaked in oil and water at this point there wasn't much I could do and I would rather pay excess to fix someones fence than to fix two cars and possibly injuring the drivers
    so seeing the possible outcomes I threw the wheel in the other direction and basically had my foot on the brakes because I'm sliding passenger at this point...

BAM followed by a SMASH I jumped the gutter and went though the fence the tail kicked out and lightly tapped the electricity pole
    (End life flashing moment)

Really all I did was take a massive sigh and hoped out like they do in racing, the first thing I did when I got out.....
    I went and popped the bonnet to check for any structural damage within the engine bay and all was good (thank goodness)

During the information swapping and sorting out insurance I saw a police car drive by and said in my mind (ok here we goo...) but the police just kept driving while my car was clearly over the footpath in someone front yard (WOWWW!)

Here are some pics of the cars injuries. light front fender damage nothing too serious smashed drivers indicator, the passengers side though got most of it busting both the head light and indicator and damaging my plate and busting my front bumper
    (My Highbeam lights survived yess!)

Nasty rear end side contact with pole... rear left light and bumper were also mangled

What I ended up plowing through... (The electricity line is behind the middle tree if you look at the top of the pic)

So after all this I went home sorted out the claim for insurance and then headed back to work feeling quite gutted because if I hadn't forgotten anything this would have never happened... but on the bright side it allowed me to do much more things that I didn't want to do.
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:12 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

2nd March 2014

After getting enough free time I decided to pull the car apart so I can really find out whats going on behind and see if the car is fine structurally

The drivers side rear the bumper mount is kinda bent (Can be easily bent back)

Washer and Coolant overflow bottles peeking through (No damage here)

Drivers front fender pushed in two places (Can fix that)

Fender front mounting bracket can be bent back but looking closer at the fender that kink its gonna be a problem...

So seeing what has happened and the car being off the road for a while I sourced the following parts
    - One piece headlights
    - Rear Bumper
    - Front Bumper (Already had a spare as original had defects just never bothered to replace it thank goodness)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:13 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

THIS IS WHERE THE FUN BEGINS!!!!

After sorting out all the parts to be ordered I decided that the waiting time would be a bit I finally decided to dive into the deep end of wire tucking (the car was already toast so i had nothing to loose )

So bit by bit i started and this was the initial plan:
    - Remove harness completely from chassis
    - Deloom
    - Clean the harness from creeping electrical tape (this was a drain)
    - Remove dielectric grease from certain certain connectors (another drain)
    - Measure up how much more wire is needed to extend the harness
    - Purchase appropriate wiring diameter for certain wires
    - Purchase A LOT of fusing tape (no adhesives) for use to bundle the wiring harness (dont have to clean the harness again if I have to remove it)
    - Purchase adhesive lined heatshrink to weather proof all soldered connections
    - Extend the harness (solder method some may not like this, car is still running as of today so I say it worked great)
    - Purchase a new soldering iron so all soldered connections are 100%

6th April 2014

After that was all sorted out we begin by removing the headlight/ ABS sensor / cooling fan power harness

Here an example of that dielectric grease that I need to clean ughhhh (I believe this is the headlight or high beam connector)

Passenger side harness removal AC and wipers are on this side (bit by bit the more I remove the longer this is gonna take I kept telling myself)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:13 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

9th April 2014

Remember how I had my fuse box mounted like this?

Well as I said this was the first attempt and I really didn't like it so much + the fact that passengers were kinda kicking it by getting in and out etc so now was my chance to really change the location of this fuse box so I started delooming and wow what a sight!

Just checking how long the fuse box harness it it is quite long almost went to the other side of the car!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:14 AM.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast