Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

16th April 2014

After getting some of my supplies I could begin some wire extending the wiring I brought were the following sizes

- 3mm 10 metres
    - 4mm 10 metres
    - 5mm 10 metres (this isnt really needed I never used this size)
    - 6mm 10 metres

Now upon closer inspection of every wire gauge in the car the wiring I have purchased had more strands and the stranding size was the same size as OEM (Insert car electrical fire pep talk due to incorrect wire gauge here) trust me I did my research

I also got some some proper wire strippers these things are the best especially if you decide to extend a crazy amount of wires

Now this is what I I did to very single wire to make sure it was the best connection possible
    1. Strip back insulation by 10mm for 6mm 15mm
    2. INSERT THE HEATSHRINK haha we all forget this sometimes
    3. Separate the strands so it fans out on both wires
    4. Push them in together and flatten the wire back so its one continuous join
    5. Grab one strand from a precut piece of wire and wrap it around the wire and tighten it by pulling on both ends of the strands (ensures a physical connection)
    6. The excess from the singular strand we just looped around the wire you want to wrap the excess around the insulation (this acts like a heatsink and doesn't shrink the insulation back if you leave your soldering iron too long on the soldered joint)
    7. FINALLY solder the wire placing the soldering iron on the wire and heating up the copper cores so you can feed the solder into the wire (cold weld connection) not onto the iron, this is where most problems occur new timers put the solder on the iron and drip the solder onto the wire
    8 .Snip of the excess wire from the strand and file off the sharp spats caused by cutting (So it doesn't puncture the heatsink)
    9. Lastly slip the heatshrink over the connection and heat it up ensuring the glue oozes out of the heatshrink ensuring a weather proof connection

Yeah after doing a lot of research on wire tucking I became OCD on my wiring, as some may know on the Main relay the solder becomes cracked due to weather exposure this is known as the cold weld, this is why I have wrapped a strand around the connection as I also get a physical join so if the solder were ever to fail the strand would still be holding the wire in place inside the heatshrink and will not fall out if that makes sense.

Heres an example of steps 1 to 5 (I accidentally snipped of the excess on this one) this is the blower motor power wire which takes 6mm wire

And here is a 3mm ground wire and 6mm blower motor power wire heatshrinked (Notice the glue on the edge of the heatshrink ensuring a perfect connection)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:15 AM.
    Daily
    Pushy until coppas say so
    Name
    Rory

fuck shit go on the accident man
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

haha not sure what your saying here, Im guessing what your saying is I was unfortunate that my accident occurred? if so yeah quite unlucky indeed
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

18th April 2014

Here we creating some brackets for the ABS and engine fuse boxes, just got some paper and measured out where all the inserts go on the boxes so that it makes life easier if the fuse box needs to be removed from the car

Mocking up designs with paper (Engine fuse box left ABS right)

In the middle of cutting the engine fuse box bracket

Engine one done (Never used those bolts because the steel is hard enough that the fuse box doesn't flex around )

ABS one done
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

19th April 2014

After fighting trying to remove the engine harness and fully delooming all the old crusty tape / plastic shielding we have the engine harness in its exposed form!
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

20th April 2014

And now as I’m sure people who have done a tuck before know how laborious it is to tag every wire so you don’t end up connecting the incorrect wires together because after all there are a few wires that have the same colour combination but sever a completely different purpose

Tagging the distributor wiring

Starting to commence the work!
    (Good ol Iron Man so my life isn’t completely drained from all this rewiring...)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:16 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

23rd April 2014

After measuring and cutting appropriate length / measuring … you get the idea we finally have created our engine harness!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 11:16 AM.
    Daily
    Suzuki Jimny :(

i admire your dedication....
    Daily
    s15
    Name
    Bernie

Really hard work
    Daily
    Hi-Jet
    Name
    Grant