Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg's Del Sol (Onto the Headlight Harness!)

Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Thanks guys it only gets better & challenging from here, still documenting all my work up until this day

So far my word document is about 20 pages long and that's just text!! I'll post more up once I can find the images relating to the type of work im carrying out
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

9th May 2014

After doing the engine harness I thought I would go one step further and relocate all the fuseboxes to the boot/trunk area, meaning the entire cabin harness needed altering.
    In the image below I was trying to find a way to neaten up / hide these wires, this was very early in as shown... Not the best of options

So I thought of sending the fusebox loom down the passenger side of the car as the driver’s side already had wiring that goes to the back part so to make the wires a bit more secure.
    So I decided to feed the wires behind the ECU when means I had to cut the ECU bracket for this to work.

ECU Bracket in original form

Trimmed ECU bracket

Now the wires can be fed from behind the ECU whilst being secure

A tiny portion of the wiring that I was working with…
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:17 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

11th May 2014

Before the cabin harness had to come out I decided to measure the headlight harness and mock up the locations on the front of the car.
    From there I cut an appropriate amount so that when I add more wiring and reinstall the harness.
    I will have enough slack of wiring to connect the headlight harness back to the cabin harness

Once again tagging the headlight harness
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:17 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

12th May 2014

Now for the image below most people cut a hole in the grommet so that the wires can come out then they just silicon the cut hole back up.
    I found that very odd as you can just remove the tape that connects the grommet to the rubber tube and just snake the wires through.
    This is probably the cleanest way to do it because when your finished you can retape it back up.

Mocked up the wiring for the lights then snipped them so rewiring will be much easier.
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:18 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

14th May 2014

In the headlight connectors there is dielectric grease so it’s easy to unplug the connectors but wow it makes so much mess

Other plugs that have this grease is the following
    - Fuse Box plugs x4
    - Normal Beam lights x2
    - High Beam Lights x2
    - Indicators x2
    - Parkers x2
    - Side Markers (Indicators) x2
    - Washer pump x1
    So yeah gotta go this 14 times seeing as I have only done one ahh well!

So with a bowl of degreaser / brush and some small labour we end up with a much better result.

The next step to protect these wires. By strengthening / weather proofing the exposed parts where the wire gets crimped to the terminal mainly for the light pins.
    So by adding some Araldite (epoxy) to those points, it will reduce wire flex fatigue from continual bending of the wire as well as keep water out of it because it sucks when you bend a wire and the insulation snaps due to repetitive hot/cold cycles I blame the weather
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:18 AM.
    Daily
    turbo'd toyota echo

good work on the tidy up man, you sure know your way around the wiring
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

Sorry for the long leave. My 6TB Hard Drive randomly kicked the bucket back in November 2015
    (If anything I'm glad it happened at the end of my Uni degree otherwise that would have sucked)
    But it also had my build log documents NOOOO!!!

And only up until now I managed to scavenge this file back along with ~75% of the stuff I lost so all in all I cant really complain now lets continue!!

18th May 2014

Fast forward a couple of days and the entire cabin harness is removed here a couple of boring pics of the wires.
    AC Wiring harness going to be removed but I will add a connector to this harness in case I ever want to reinstall it. modularity for the wins!

Blower Motor / 3-Pin Data Link connector / 2-Pin Diagnostic connector / hand :p

The engine / ABS fuse box wires that need to be lengthened…… (oh boyy)
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:19 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

5th June 2014

Slowly progressing with the tucking and decided I wanted brand new pins that go to the fuse box luckily the pins I need are easily accessible.
    So I went down to super cheap and brought 5 8-Pin connectors therefore giving 45 female pins so I can add them to the fuse box loom.

Lengthened fuse box wiring with tags indicating what wires do what

The pin on the left by itself has been crimped and soldered on then epoxy has been applied around the wire to ensure a water tight connection
    The other pins on the right have only been crimped and that small gap on pins is where the solder flows in thus the solder connection is made internally then it flows out creating the best connection…
    (Yeah I’m pedantic about wiring haha, just don’t what this car failing on me)

Applying epoxy on the rest of the pins.

As all the new wiring I used was black I also tagged the wire with their original wire colour so if I have a fault I know what colour that wire originally is

New VS old pins.

Also received this bad boy during the day

Then I decided to also relocate the washer bottle to the boot.
    I thought about it and came to the conclusion that if the pump was not strong enough I would order a better one.
    Therefore I made the OEM washer connector modular which meant another wiring diagram (Even though it was simple)

Gotta ton more wiring stuffs to go!!! in this case it IS easier said than done. Hope I'm not boring you all to death :p Next up will be re-looming the entire cabin harness!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:20 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

10th June 2014

Finally the fuse box lengthening process is complete! Now beings relooming the entire cabin harness
    (Man this was fun, I remember getting hand cramps from the tape when I was looming sooo many wires!)

Look how long the wires are! (This is how long the wires needed to be to reach the boot / trunk area)

Now to make the end looming easier I decided to internally loom the wires using silicon tape.
    Basically this tape has no adhesive but one it comes into contact with itself it fuses together pretty expensive stuff ($13 for about 2m if I recall) but if I ever need to make a change I won’t need to deal with duct tape adhesive when delooming because it’s a pain cleaning adhesive off every single wire so it’s no longer sticky to touch.

Fuse Box looming complete, now to finish off the rest of the cabin harness
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:21 AM.
    Daily
    Honda CRX 96 GEN3
    Name
    Greg

12th June 2014

Cabin Harness Looming complete! (What a drain this harness was) now to finish looming the ABS (right) and engine harnesses (top left)

With the cabin harness done we have one task left...
    Up next is the re-installation + crossing my fingers that all my wire measurements are correct!
    Last edited by greg677; 14-09-17 at 10:21 AM.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast