Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: [QLD] S15 Spec R

Daily
    S15

This weekend, a set of MCA Blues were available for a reasonable price. My Endless Zeal coilovers, while good, have a tendency to crash over bumps a lot and as such, is not giving me the handling I'm chasing. With the MCA blues, I will be able to utilise their advice and get the car handling how I want to. The MCA workshop is only about 15 minutes from where I live, so I can drop them in if required and get help in getting the car handling properly.

Daily
    S15

Major update time. After many months of researching and planning, this is the end result. Items added:

- Garrett GTX2867R II
    - HKS 264 12mm Cams
    - Supertech Valve Springs and Retainers
    - Turbosmart Kompact BOV
    - Koyorad Alloy Rad
    - Greddy Intercooler
    - Catch can

Tuned once again by 101 Motorsport who did the tune back in 2016. Car made a healthy 230kw which is what I was expecting. Haven't had much of a chance to drive it given COVID-19. All important pictures!

New cooler peeking through (much larger than my old Gktech return flow)

At 101

Custom made catch can and Koyorad. We found the stock rad struggling to keep temps down. I was planning to upgrade the rad sooner or later but this necessitated it now.

Rocker cover redone in wrinkle red and I managed to nab a Top Secret oil cap

Turbosmart Kompact BOV + all new piping

Fab work is top notch

Turbo at home

Defi is not new but shot this while out taking the first picture. It actually came in handy because I was too busy enjoying the car to notice the temps. I had set up limits on the Defi so once it started beeping at me, I quickly realised something was up (the rad).

Daily
    S15

Next up on the to-do list is a thorough decontamination, paint correction (where required) and application of a new protection kit. Perfect isolation activity and I'll be utilising the Easter long weekend to good effect. Further details and write-up coming shortly.

Daily
    Mitsi Outlander
    2nd Car
    BNR32

I'm so stoked you still update this thread - really enjoy reading it and I think we've a similar taste in modifications/style.

You mentioned the stock rad wasn't up to the task, how hot was water temp getting?
    Daily
    S15

Quote Originally Posted by Modified View Post
    I'm so stoked you still update this thread - really enjoy reading it and I think we've a similar taste in modifications/style.

You mentioned the stock rad wasn't up to the task, how hot was water temp getting?
    I'll keep updating it as long as the site is up (I duplicate over to SAU too) since FB is not that great at this type of journal and it also gives me a way to log changes without running my own site.

We were seeing >100C, which may have been the fault of a number of things such as a lack of airflow to the cooler with the thicker FMIC in place, a worn out clutch fan, damage to the fan shroud. Initial repair was to repalace the fan with another clutch fan but that didn't help so I went straight to a new rad + replacement factory fan shroud. This should also be good for once I'm able to have a crack at the track.
    Daily
    bmw
    Name
    Mary

Amazing tips, thanks! You inspire me to make new masterpieces!
    Daily
    S15

Detail Time!

Some years back I did a Duragloss paint protection kit and it worked quite well for my purposes and provided excellent gloss and beading. It was time to renew the coating to renew the bead. However, this time I went with Gyeon Mohs.

With some planning and scheduling, Easter weekend was a perfect time for this task so I could take my time. It ended up taking 17.5 hours over approximately three days to complete.

Day 1
    • Strip foam wash + normal two bucket wash
    • Iron fallout remover spray (surprisingly not a lot of fallout shown in the paint)
    • Clay towel (wasn't a fan of the towel over the bar)
    • Masking up of trim
    • Plates cleaned up

Day 2
    I did not enjoy this day as it was very tiring and a lot checking, rechecking to check for effectiveness. I ended up doing a heavy cut all around but there were not many scratches except for "high traffic" areas meaning the wash procedure is going well. Did not chase down every single scratch, keeping in mind this car is 20 years old. So areas likes the bonnet etc will have some obvious chips and scratches.

Finished up with a polishing step using Menzerna Super 3500 but did not feel like it added anything of benefit to the finish. Quickly moved onto removing the residue to prep for coating.

Day 3

Very important to do this after a good rest as this step needs a lot of focus to make sure you're keeping on top of the instructions for application. Double checked for any compound residue and watched Esoteric youtube application video. Focus needed to ensure you're covering all areas of paint, buffing off prior to full flashing of product and then follow up. This was a relatively easy process compared to day 2. I did two coats and I used the last drop as I was on the last panel.

Overall: Very happy with outcome, lots of depth and shine. Coating is still curing so cannot test beading yet.

Time-lapse of the job

Daily
    Mitsi Outlander
    2nd Car
    BNR32

Looks amazing - recently had GTR done by a mate and he finished it off with IGL Kenzo. Keeping the car clean has never been easier.

That said I want to buy a DA machine so I can do it myself next-time. Will buy some panels from Pick'n'Payless to practice on. What machine are you using/can you recommend?
    Daily
    S15

Quote Originally Posted by Modified View Post
    Looks amazing - recently had GTR done by a mate and he finished it off with IGL Kenzo. Keeping the car clean has never been easier.

That said I want to buy a DA machine so I can do it myself next-time. Will buy some panels from Pick'n'Payless to practice on. What machine are you using/can you recommend?
    I use the Car Care Products machine at the moment, they do many different packages. Since then many different companies have started making their own but haven't tried any. Rupes being the longstanding, top of the line but of course you pay good money for it.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789