Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

98 Supra RZ vvti build

Hey all,

Figure i should put up a build thread before it all gets started.

The story so far, had a few supras over the years the first a 94 sz in 05 full veilside kit (used to be publicly acceptable) had a break after that went through a few other cars next supra i ended up buying a 95 rz-s auto with a gt45 setup and a few other bits in 2011. I daily drove it for a year and a bit and decided to take it off the road to rebuild the motor, once it came off the road and the car was pulled down the state of the car itself (backyard mechanic and electrically molested much dodginess throughout) was not going to meet the end result i was after and was more problems then it was worth. I had decided end of the day if im going to spend money on a supra i may as well start with the right base so the search started for a suitable car 2000 onwards and rz vvti manual was the goal.

After 5 maybe 6 months of searching carsales/gumtree/forums a late 98 (nov) rz manual came up on carsales which ticked all the boxes and a few extras so compromised on the year and flew down to Adelaide and picked it up. It had been imported in 08 with 80xxxkms on the clock hand picked by the previous owners. Once landed it had its 100xxxkm service and the next 5 years only 29xxx kms to when i bought it july 2014. Drove it back from Adelaide to Brisbane only fault being the spark plugs which had seen better days. Other then that the car was dead stock minus hks front mount kit, titanium cat back, blitz sus power intake, trd front bar, trial rear bar, top secret skirts and volk challenge wheels. As for the car itself had optioned full trd cluster, trd strut brace, reas suspension, carbon dash, carbon steering wheel, footwell lighting, rear black seat, recaro mats and usual rz bits like sr3 recaros, 4/2 big brake kit.

Once the car was back in brisbane i started to re fitted parts which i had taken off the previous supra that were worthwhile keeping. First the recaros were taken out in favour of bride ergos driver and passenger on bride rails, never liked the seat bolster on recaros just seem a bit vague and dont hold as much as i would like. Next was a full service, new plugs, toyota coolant, trd filter, rocker breathing hoses, liqui moly oils and a through degrease and clean.

After that the rays gtc 19s went on, had toyo t1rs on the rear with no issues replaced with atr sports and as it turned out under squat the rear guards were cutting the sidewall, next day had precision guards out to roll the rears, (highly recommended) he drove up from the gold coast, took the time to do the guards properly and ensured i was happy the with the end result much better then previous experience which just seemed to be a rush job. Tires were replaced a day after they were fitted with new ones, lesson learned.

2 months passed while i was organizing the final brake parts, from the previous supra being small braked the plan was to go big brakes on it so already had bought the rear 2 pot (new oem) calipers, i purchased the front 4 pots (new oem) calipers, DBA4000 rotors, goodwill braides brake lines (thanks to gameon, great prices and fast shipping). Pads ended up going with Project Mu type NS all round and Project Mu brake fluid (999 automotive helped out where another company had let me down) also picked up a Project Mu magnetic sump plug for good measure. The whole setup was fitted up and made quite a difference visually just having an entire new system. I would say this is where it started with the replacing old with new oem parts.

After the brakes not much happened besides keeping it clean/detailing, a service and taking it to a couple meets, while i started collecting parts to go with the pile of parts i had accumulated from the previous supra but never got around to using.

Somewhere in the period of brake to now the trd brace was sold and replaced with a mint speed titanium strut (12/150), top secret gear knob, greddy oil cap, carbon radiator air guide and the Cusco 2 way LSD took the place of the torsen diff. Thats how it had remained until the last few weeks.

June 2015 - Finally having some time to step away from my business it was time to start fitting the some off the parts. I had picked up some new oem trim pieces consisting of the center console lid, handbrake trim, center console trim and handbrake to replace what most would consider to be clean trim, battery clamp was also replaced with new oem.

This is where the story is up to now and will continue as i have time/parts arrive.

The end goal for the car is to build a clean comprehensively modified car, ensuring all aspects power, handling, braking and aesthetics are taken care off as anyone can throw on a turbo and a few parts to make a fast car but without the attention to detail its nothing special. I will try upload as many pics and keep this updated as i go.

2008 - Pre-purchase pictures in japan

2014 - Picking it up in Adelaide

2014 Downshift meet 5 months after purchase

2015 May

Last edited by detuned; 27-06-15 at 03:32 PM.
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

Stage 1

Awaiting on a few more parts to arrive before this all gets underway and installed...

PWR Radiator
    Grex Oil cooler and filter relocation (not pictured)
    Arp head studs
    Arp main studs
    Original motorsports billet tensioner bracket
    Power Enterprise kelvar timing belt
    Apexi EL2 gauges boost and oil pressure/temp to replace mismatched current
    BC billet oil pump drive gear
    Par Engineering conrods
    New oem water pump
    New oem lower engine cover
    New oem middle engine cover (np)
    New oem vvti engine cover (np)
    New oem fuse box lid
    New oem relay box lid
    New oem hydraulic tensioner
    New oem timing belt guide
    New oem clutch inspection rubber
    New oem bonnet stick
    New oem battery tray
    New oem thermistors
    New oem ac control unit buttons (np)
    New oem door handle surrounds (np)
    New oem differential bearing & seals
    New oem welsh plugs
    New oem rubber boot stops
    New oem clutch slave
    Greddy pulley kit
    Ati/Titan dampener
    Greddy exhaust cam gear
    New oem head gasket and engine seal kit
    Gameon billet gearbox tripod bushes
    CP pistons (np)
    Acl bearings (np)

Thats most of the parts for stage 1, awaiting a couple more deliveries and will be ready to install the most of it. Which will be built bottom end and clutch

Next stage will be more towards suspension and replacing more oem parts, cleaning up the car further and building the head.

3rd stage HKS T51r turbo install, ecu, fuel and intake manifold

4th stage
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

Small progress update while still waiting for parts to arrive.

Genuine trial carbon sils, bit nicer then the stock items

Before

Fitted, also fitted the factory flare

Now back to waiting for parts..
    Last edited by detuned; 20-06-15 at 08:00 PM.
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

Another small update of a part that was really letting the car down..the boot shade, it had come out of my previous supra. New oem one arrived approximately a week ago.

Old

New - the lines from it been rolled up for a decade or 2 have since faded out now a week on.

Now back to waiting for parts to arrive.
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

The part pile contuines to grow...still waiting on more parts...grex oil cooler and veilside plenum not in pic...back to waiting

Daily
    Toyota Supra
    Name
    Rob

Woah.
    That Supra looks amazing so far! I look forward to further updates!
    Been a massive fan of Supra's for a very long time, glad to see an awesome new build on the forums.
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

Bit more progress from the week past.

Few new oem bits installed.

Center console, L piece, handbrake surround and gearstick surround and replacement sticker

Ashtray is in the mail atm handbrake and gearknob are next on the list.

Just a bit of a clean up undecided on the trd sticker still. New fuel surround due with the ashtray.

I had been missing 2 of the center caps for ages, finally found decently priced new genuines.

Replaced the fuse box lid and somewhere lost the battery terminal cover in the past couple months. Also replaced the smaller relay cover.

Next on the list is new handbrake, new top secret gearknob, awaiting on a new oem cowl at the moment being the final piece to do all the new oem wiper arm assemblies in one go.

Btw not sure why some pictures are upside-down etc.
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

After 12 months since purchase was time for the yearly through service and clean.

Service consisted of new idirium plugs, oil and filter. Also replaced the coil pack connectors as they were getting a bit brittle also replaced the vvti engine cover with new. Replaced the top radiator foam as the original one was long gone.

Led full dash also completed minus the ac unit, lighter surround and window switch will be started on in the coming fortnight or so.

Detail wise was just a polish and fresh sealant applied.

Wheels slowly getting cleaned as well.

Before

After well nearly finished

Unfortunately new cowl is yet to arrive so still waiting to fit it with new wiper arms and blade attachments.
    Daily
    Supra
    Name
    Juliet

Looks great so far!
    Daily
    xr5
    2nd Car
    98 Supra Rz
    Name
    Richard

Thanks cowl has finally arrived so next weekend will fit it all up as well as a few other tidy up pieces.

Last edited by detuned; 14-08-15 at 05:15 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast