Thread: Tavi - VWish

Daily
    Škoda Octavia Mk.I

Tavi - VWish

Since my whole essay that i was creating like hour and half, has been ceased by page logging me off, i have to write that whooooole sh*t again, oh lord.

About me
    I'm from Czechia or Czech republic. Don't know where it is? I'll toss beer bottle on you. Still nothing? Okay, awkward, lets move on.
    I'm fan of FnF,NFSU (etc.), decent stylized cars, crazy engine swaps, tasty exhaust notes and anything that goes vroom and smells like burnt oil.
    I should be currently categorized as a ricer, due to money shortage that shows on the car, however I'm not investing in disgusting bodykits/spoilers/fake turbo whistles or BOVs and I'm slowly refurbishing/fixing lame stuff i did to my car.
    Be prepared for miserable english, i hope you will don't mind it, I'm rewriting this all over again (page shenaningans).

About my car
    I own Škoda* Octavia I, for those who dont know, its VW's PQ34 platfom car with (VW Golf 4 specs), design-wise similar to Jetta IV. Has nothing to do with JDM you say? Continue in reading. Prepare popcorn and aspirine too, it's gonna get kinda heavy.
    *(pronounce it like Shkodah [sh-kod-ah] )

About the project
    Since my car has an outdated transverse FWD , heavy and underpowered VW's fat hog, 1.6L 4-banger rated at 4,6k rpm with max output of 55kW (75hp), max torque at 3,2k rpm with 135Nm and anything above it's just making alot of noise and burning fuel with speed of light.
    It's inefficient, irresponsible and has terrible gas-milleage for car like that. So i want to fix it by 'simply' swapping it (as we all know, its not as easy as on the paper).
    Make it RWD (i've been dragged from 4x4 by its complexity and money expense), mate non VW chassis, transmission and engine in, screw bolts and drive, simple isnt it?
    I've gone through local Škoda forum, where i was stoned to death with my idea, then i went to the local JDM forum, where i aquired lot of experiences and hints about all problems connected with modification like this, so I'm not newbie to this.

For now, its just theoretical, because nor i do have place, tools, people, time or actually the key of the project - engine + chassis - to even begin. Please do not give me a lecture about not having a damn thing, i can somehow maybe manage to get these things, but without core, i would waste my time and eventually screw something up, thats what i don't want to happend.
    I want like to make it my daily, efficient, economical, powerful, reliable and with existing aftermarket support that wont cost me more than engine itself and stock looking as well, don't wanna drag attention of car theft gangs or police.

Engine
    As i mentioned before, i got some advices from people in here who understand how the things goes, the highs and the lows of JDM engines. I was recommended SR20DET and 1UZ(-FE).
    However i investigated on my own and found VH45/VH41 alternatives as well as 4G63T. I'm all for dropping sweet looking and performing V8 in there, but I'm concerned about engine bay size and weight too.
    I need some suggestion which i should drop in there for good. I've discovered some by myself:

Nissan - SR20DET would be great, because out of box boosted, it its "just" 4 banger, which limits me on the way up the modification tree.
    Toyo - 1UZ/VH41 would be also great, but they are slightly different sizes and ways to boost them 1UZ-Whining compressor vs VH41-Turbo.
    Nissan - RB25/26 would be the best on earth that could go there, mainly because the sound and overall realiability, but its long block, its expensive and it should stay, where it belongs - in the Skyline.
    Toyo - 1JZ same story as RB.
    Mitsu - 4G63T it was mounted transverse as well as longitudinal, sounds sweet, its boosted out of box, but find to find any with low mileage seems impossible, plus like the SR it has its limits.
    Any Honda engine - I'm not fan of any Honda engines, althrough they may be great for smaller cars, my application is... over their capabilities.
    Any Mazda engine - Same issue with Honda, Rotary looks damn great, but who will ever want to feed that in heavy-*ss sedan.
    Subaru - that would be drop in, because of the VW x Subaru adapter plates, its favourite swap for Bugs and other VW insects, but its rather for offroad use (IMHO).

Chassis
    Speaking of chassis, at first i wanted all in all handy sollution - 4x4, but for technical reasons i slightly let the slip away. RWD is a must, FWD with V8 in front never worked so well. I'm aware of fabrication special mounts and holds.

Summary
    As you could notice, my idea is.... not so ordinary.
    I'm asking anyone who has hateful or bashful comments, to keep them for themselves.
    I'm fed up with people who ruin someone's ideas because words "creative" or "different/original" are not in their dictionary.
    I need helpful replies, not stupid replies that simply points out that its cheaper to buy car that was already built like i want.
    If i would like to, i would do so. Also swapping native VW stuff in there is out of question. If it was, i wouldn't be in here, think.
    This is not a joke or trolling, althrough i might seem like one of the lunetics out there, i am really serious about this.
    I would be greatful for any useful advice that would further improve my decision. What donor car to choose for the chassis, engine and transmission, etc.
    Thank you for reply in advance. Here, take a piece of cake, you deserve it.
    Daily
    Na6 mx5 1992
    Name
    braydon hill

Is this your first car?
    Why spend so much on it ...
    Not bashing the idea but seems like a huge waste of time and money
    Daily
    Škoda Octavia Mk.I

Quote Originally Posted by benny_baleno View Post
    huge waste of time and money
    It surely is, and yes it's my first car.
    Since import from Japan/USA is pain in the goverment's eye (and buyer's pain in the pocket),modifying current engine is literal suicide(unless i want rebuild transmission + suspension anyway),
    it would cost me just as much as already built JDM jewell.
    Difference is, i can learn and put piece of myself in this car and differ from others, atleast under the bonnet, where its most important.
    Many people in here have spend ~same amount of money for disgusting styling cliché mods and left the poor stock powertrain untouched.
    Daily
    Imported JDM crown
    2nd Car
    Retro Honda

It's an interesting looking car.
    Daily
    Škoda Octavia Mk.I

Bit of nerdy insider:
    Developed after takeover of Škoda by VW (VAG). Fully-ishly on VW's concern parts/platform (you can see body style in Jetta IV, also in Audi A3 at some point).
    Some of them you can see mostly in UK, because it was monstrous selling point at the time, but otherwise, good luck searching one of those anywhere outside Europe and Russia.
    Sadly due to my goverment being lazy about buying marketshares in the company, car design slowly began to shift towards more monotone "uni" style, like you can see today - as i say, change bumper, headlights and badge and you can have any VAG car model you wish.
    Designer of this car has designed such beautiful cars as Lamborghini Murcielago or Rolls Royce Flying Spur.
    It's reminder of times when atleast some of the VW's people had a heart and gave the car part of it.
    And one of the main reasons I want to keep it as one and only car. Been in my family for almost two generations and it's for me like for American a Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro, for Japanese a Toyota Corolla 86 or Skyline of any kind.
    It's not just a car, it's a friend, shopping cart, entertainment box and hobby object after looooong hard week of working.
    Daily
    Škoda Octavia Mk.I

Solving my own case, like being murderer, victim and detective in one person.
    http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/, are listed all engines for sale, which gives me atleast hypothetical pricepoint for what i should look.
    For all i can say, price up to 1,5k$ or lets be real a 2k$, is acceptable. 0I can see alot of RB25s, SR20s and fewer V8s. V8s are mostly cube-like, so they are all around same size.
    On the other hand, L6 is slightly thinner but way longer. In addition, at V8 its gonna be weight and width to take care of, straight gonna be long
    If i choose straight 6, its gonna be one of RB25 or RB26 (dream swap), if i choose V8 its gonna be 1UZ or VH45, (i couldnt find VH41 but ebay will do), and if i choose to stay im 4cyl pen, only chances i can see are 3GSE, 4G63T or very very expensive, yet mad F20C.
    All should be mated with 6 speed manual, so that kinda narrows it down. Help me choose