Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1999 Nissan Pulsar N15 SSS Series 2

Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Alrighty time for another update on the Poosar! I don't like updating this thread with weak af updates but its all I have atm so bare with me!

Not much has happened I'm just sort of doing what I can when those certain parts get here. Recently picked up a 2 slat grille painted gloss black, also picked up a badge for the bonnet and a sss badge originally meant for a datsun of some sort. I was intending to buy a new rear oem sss sticker from nissan but those are no longer available of course and even if they were $90 for a decal yeah no thanks Nissan :/ Anyway so I gave the badges a few coats of plastic dip and they came up great. Also reason for picking up a 2 slat instead of leaving the lucino is because the lucino was hella broke when I bought the car I mean cracked and missing several clips, was basically hanging on for dear life thanks to cable ties so over the left shoulder that went as soon as the 2 slat arrived. TBH I never really like the lucino grille they look okay but they're not all that imo. So here are some snaps of that business:

[IMG]DSC01943 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01937 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01947 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

So since my rocker stoppers and rocker cover gaskets had arrived it was time to fix up the rocker cover and put those parts in. Rocker cover had been painted by one of the previous owners and paint job wasn't looking very good anymore as it was peeling and cracking, I was originally going to get it blasted, then paint it with wrinkle black and sand off the casting marks but thought I'd get it powder coated for a tougher finish that won't bust up easily and the sand down the casting marks.

[IMG]DSC01955 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

While the cover was off at the powder coating shop I set to install the rocker stoppers, upon removing the cover I was met with a nasty surprise I thought the silicon was over done from the outside when they put the cover back on after painting but boy was I wrong I mean christ on a bike that is a lot of silicon!! And yes it took me ages to clean that mess up. Also the engine looks kinda cruddy (not 100% sure thats a word) it seems this sr probably never got all the services it needed, I feel like some oil changes were skipped and changing the oil regularly could have kept it in better condition. Oh well damage is done all I can do now is just maintain it better until rebuild time.

[IMG]DSC01953 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01952 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cleaned up that silicon mess up from the head and rocker stoppers went in nicely.

[IMG]DSC01958 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01959 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

After that task I needed to remover that broken bolt that was still in the head, I was expecting this job to go to shit because it seems whenever I have to remove a broken bolt at work 99% of the time it doesn't go my way and 1% of the time it does and I don't have to go the next size up. Luckily It worked for me and also I couldn't afford to go the next size bolt here which would be m8, don't think it would work or maybe I'm wrong.

[IMG]DSC01957 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01956 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once I got the rocker cover back I set on to sanding back the casting marks, being the clumsy noob I am my hand accidentally slipped whilst sanding and I may have scratched that oh so awesome fresh powder coat on the cover Oh well lesson learnt, take it easy next time or else this happens.

[IMG]DSC01994 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01993 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I originally wanted to get all new bolts and washers for the rocker cover but man they're pretty pricey items from Nissan, I buy most of my oem Nissan parts from japan but even then it just didn't seem worth it to waste that much money for new fasteners. So I only bought a new bolt and washer to replace the broken one and just reused the rest. This mean I had to clean up silicon off the old washers oh how fun that was :/

[IMG]DSC01991 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01992 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

All installed and everything in the bay put back together and looking tidy again. Took the car for a short drive since it had been two weeks since I started this job I was itching to get behind the wheel again, its crazy how much this car makes me smile everytime I drive it, its a bit of turd and I'm working on bringing it back to its former glory but it sure does have a special place in my heart.

[IMG]DSC01995 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01996 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

On another note I attended MCM Nationals at Barbagallo Raceway in August, that was quite a blast and pretty awesome to meet Marty and Blair after watching their channel for years. It was an awesome day so many people turned up and heaps of awesome cars took heaps of photos too. I got the chance to take out the Poosar on track for couple of laps which was fun but most importantly gave me an idea of how my car is at the moment and what I still need to do before I start beating on it at the track.
    Noticed my tires were really good at the beginning and after a couple of laps they just weren't having it, maybe my pressures weren't correct but I probably won't be using RE003 next time, a much more track dedicated tire is on the list now regardless. Car could definitely use some more stiffening up but I was already aware of that. Apart from my rotor shield rubbing on my rotor brakes were awesome the whole time despite the basic gct pads i have up front I mean I drove the car pretty hard and brakes never gave up maybe a few more laps they would have gone but guess I still need to reseal the mc just to be safe maybe even upgrade mc when i get a bigger brake it on but for now track pads are on the list for sure! Don't have any photos of the car on track just one from when it was parked up in the sheds waiting for the next lap outing.

[IMG]DSC01633 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

More updates to come soon I hope they're more interesting! but thats it for now until next time thanks for looking through and reading this really long update. Cheers
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Quick Update.

Received a package today and it was my weather shields that I ordered a couple of weeks ago from germany. I went with Team HEKO because I remember a long time ago when I still had my first pulsar and I was scouring through the forums, was probably on this forum actually that I saw a forum member's sss with Team HEKO weather shields and I absolutely loved them. Never ended up getting them for that pulsar but when I bought this pulsar I thought i'll need to get a set eventually. Unfortunately Team HEKO themselves won't ship to Australia so I had to look on eBay UK and there is heaps listed on there so I picked up a set.

[IMG]DSC01998 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01997 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02003 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is how they look on the car:

[IMG]DSC02000 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02001 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I absolutely love how they look on the car, brings some style into the picture a little bit I think. I have some other bits for the car to change things up the current exterior look that I picked from japan auctions that I hope arrive soon.
    Until that update thanks for looking through, Cheers.
    Daily
    1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Cima.

Great looking Pulsar! Keep it up, man.

Sent from my 601SO using Tapatalk
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by cimachach View Post
    Great looking Pulsar! Keep it up, man.

Sent from my 601SO using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Hello again guys and girls, seems like It's been an eternity since I last updated this thread. There are some new things on the car and a unfortunate thing happened to the ole Poosar but its fine she's all back up and running again so lets get to the saucy details of whats been happening these last few months!

So I was replacing my radiator hoses and putting new clamps since the hose on the thermostat housing has always leaked slightly. During this process the hose neck on the top header tank broke, now I'm not sure if I was basically being a noob and tightened it too much or whether the plastic was just that gone that it gave in from doing the hose up slightly but thats all she wrote there was no going back. I was so angry but I just laughed it off because being pissed won't melt plastic back to its original state unfortunately.

[IMG]Untitled by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Radiator and Radio Business by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I began thinking of what to do, I was already thinking of upgrading the radiator at some point before doing track days so it made sense to just save up and buy a bigger radiator rather than just buying an oem replacement then buying a new radiator later on down the track. So choices came down to cheaping out and buying a generic eBay rad or buying a Koyo 53mm R1977. The Koyo isn't cheap at the $700 mark but you can't go wrong with proven quality and having read some reviews and there being a half and half of people having good luck and bad luck with eBay radiators I decided to steer clear of the cheap stuff.

So I while was set on picking up a Koyo radiator, but I knew there was one brand I always wanted to support and thats Fenix, I watch Monky London on Youtube and he is always using their products on his drift cars with no issues so It was a no brainer that my 2 liter na sr would do just fine with one of their rads on my car. A quick look on their site didn't give me the results I was hoping for as they didn't have anything listed for a SSS pulsar or even a GTiR so I was a bit bummed an thought oh well Koyo It is. Then a week later I got to thinking and thought why not just hit them up maybe they might still make them but just not have them listed yet and thats what I did. Not even 15 minutes later I got a phone call, got chatting with one sales guys and before I left for work I had a rad on order and it was shipped out that day too. Even better news the Fenix radiator was much cheaper than the Koyo at $380 but then again its a 40mm radiator vs 53mm so not exactly the same product. From what I've seen on forums the R1977 is a huge unit and even with this 40mm I'm running out of room so I glad I didn't get the 53mm because I'd have things rubbing on the radiator which wouldn't be good at all.

The radiator arrived not long after and I got to work fitting everything in the car so I could get it running again since it had been sitting for so long.

I always thought the oem radiator had some thickness to it buy boy I was so wrong! This things is as thick s the aircon condenser which made no sense to me at all but hey if it works it works right so who am I to question Nissan engineers haha. Part of me thought maybe someone replaced it with a 1.6 and since they look the same they just thought it would work but 1.6 header tank hose necks are smaller compared to the ones on the sr as far as I know so this wouldn't exactly work without some intensive bodging of things.

Radiator mocked up in place and looks right at home with no major issues getting it in, its a bit tight compared to pulling out or putting in the stock item thats for sure.

Funnily enough it took a while to start the car for some reason after sitting for so long the sr was not playing the game. I was sweating checking that it had fuel, air and spark which it did and I had not touched anything other than the cooling system so It should have started with no major hickups, I eventually had to crank it and keep opening and closing the throttle and she finally roared to life and what a great moment it was!! Once the fans were all mounted up and everything was bled up it was all good, no leaks as far as I know and the fans come on when they're supposed to so the radiator is doing its job and I'm pretty with myself

After the cooling system shenanigans were sorted I also had a new headunit to install which I picked up for a steal of $99 at supernotcheap auto with bluetooth too. I wasn't a big fan of the crimped wiring that was done on the radio wiring so I picked up two deutsch plug kits and set to fix up to how I thought it should look.

Apologies for the last photo being blurry it was dark when I was finished and had to deal with the lighting I had available, but new headunit went in with no troubles and I can now listen to some fresh tunes with ease.

A while ago I picked up some goodies from yahoo japan auctions to change things up a bit on the Poosar, I got some FN15 front corner lights, clear side repeaters and rear license plate lights. Now you maybe thinking Greg why would you get corner lights that won't match your headlights instead of getting the Vzr items? I'm a fan of the silver corner bulge lens tbh so thats why I picked them which means at some point I will get the regular crystal headlamps that don't have black reflectors to match. Not everyone is going to like this but end of the day its my car and I'll modify it how I want not to please people because I like to switch things up a bit and not look like every other N15 SSS that is on the road in Australia.

[IMG]DSC02004 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02005 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02006 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comparison of a regular T10 Led bulb to the right and the 18 SMD Led light on the left that are now in the back.

[IMG]DSC02011 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Both 18 SMD Led Lights in place.

[IMG]DSC02015 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

They're just a little bit brighter than I expected hahaha. I mean when I'm driving at night if l look in my side view mirror I can see them lighting up the road behind me which is something a regular T10 will not do so hopefully I don't get in trouble for having too much white light on the back of the car but until then they're doing well.

[IMG]DSC02016 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02012 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

So thats pretty much all up to now, hopefully I have more interesting and tasty updates in the coming year If you're reading this I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful start to 2018, stay safe out there. Thanks for reading through, until next time folks!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Happy New Year to everyone and hope 2018 started off perfectly for you all. Not a lot happening with the pulsar atm but I am hopefully picking up R32 Gtr Sumitomo calipers with adapters to suit an n15 and rotors this thursday, probably rebuild them at some point and paint them a colour that isn't red. Also going to paint match my two slat grille silver I was going to leave alone but I just want everything looking a bit more uniform So I'll post another update end of this week. Cheers!

Heres a nice shot of the Poosar I took yesterday:

[IMG]DSC02089 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Okay as promised I would update this thread at the end of the week, but unfortunately its just a disappointing update yay me!

So i found an ad for Skyline GTR brakes for sale and spoke to the guy and asked he could confirm the setup was R32 Sumitomo calipers, dog bones and 296mm x 32mm downsized and redrilled to 4 x 100 and he said yes so I asked if could hold then I could pick them up Thursday which I ended up picking them Friday. All seemed well until I went to test fit said brake kit on today and it just all went down hill from there.

[IMG]DSC02109 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

The calipers themselves are not GTR items as far as I'm concerned because they appear to be cast iron 30mm calipers which I believe s14, r32 gtst and maybe z32s use. I know for a fact R32 GTR calipers look different than the ones I have. Next hurdle was the rotors measured 294 x 30mm, one pair of the pads as you'll see in the photos seemed to not be sitting on the rotor properly because the rotor is incorrect. The dog bones don't fit my N15 knuckles which is even more strange because as far as I know according to all the research I have done to do with this upgrade reading from threads other members on here had and on almera forums those calipers I have should directly bolt up to an N16 knuckle but not an N15 which is were the dogbones would come in or so I thought. The guy said you might still need N16 knuckles he wasn't really sure as he had done this several years ago but made no sense to me why you would need dog bones on N16 knuckles.

[IMG]DSC02114 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02112 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02111 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another issue was the way the 4 x 100 pcd was redrilled I don't think its really safe how one of the holes ended up drilling into an existing hole. Im pretty sure if the correct rotor is used you should be able to use one of the existing holes and then drill out three more holes not this way but what do I know :/

[IMG]DSC02110 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

What I'm going to do is get all the things I need for these brakes to work properly which according to the research is:
    -N16 Knuckles
    -N16 Hubs Redrilled to 4 x 100
    -280mm x 30mm Rotors Redrilled to 4 x 100 and turned down to 272mm (I plan on using S14 Rotors)
    -S14 Front Brake Pads (I think these are small enough to ensure the pad has plenty overlap)

IF ANYONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS MOD IS READING THIS CAN YOU CHIME IN AND LET ME KNOW IF I'M ONTO THE RIGHT TRACK PLEASE! Worst comes to worse and if this mod annoys me enough I'll rebuild the calipers and sell them and buy the Wilwood Big Brake Kit I was planning on buying which would use dogbones that would actually fit my knuckles and not have to mess around with trying to work with nissan calipers and redrilling rotors.

Plan is to just buy the cheapest rotors and pads first up maybe even used stuff just to test fit and then figure out which brands I want to use when I know everything works perfectly! After that i'll rebuild the calipers and fit everything up. I know the factory SSS wheels won't fit unless you use a 20mm spacer (thanks for the tip Tim) but Ive got some 15 x 7 wheels that I'm picking that should hopefully clear these brakes. Should be happy days if this all works out in my favour but I'm in no rush with the brakes since my current setup works fine and will suffice for the time being so I'll just buy what I need as I go along and then work it out.

I also wanted to paint match my grille since it was gloss black, I've only ever paint matched something once and that was mirror caps on my first pulsar and I used paint mixed up at Supercheap Auto. This time I thought oh I'll go to an actual paint shop and get it mixed there and obviously with my bad luck the can I got was shitty and the paint came out very dusty which was shocking to say the least and I was really annoyed. I'll have to redo it again at some point but won't be going back to that shop I'll just get my paint from Supercheap Auto like I should have in the first place. I also painted my mirror caps they came out a bit bit better just not as dusty as the grille. Unfortunately with the photos I took you can't really tell the paint is shitty maybe a little bit on the grille but yeah that was the result.

[IMG]DSC02098 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02099 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02101 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02100 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

So yeah my week hasn't been going well regarding anything I've tried doing on the Pulsar which sucks but oh well I'm looking forward to more mods. Thanks for reading through this nonsense of mine and hope you have all have a good day, until the next update cheers!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

I'll just leave these here for now:

[IMG]TWS Evolution by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

TWS Evolution
    15 x 7
    ET: +15