Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1999 Nissan Pulsar N15 SSS Series 2

Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

My 1999 Nissan Pulsar N15 SSS Series 2

Hi, thought I'd make a thread for my Pulsar which I got early December of 2016 after searching for a bit on gumtree and car sales.
    This is not my first pulsar but my third one, why do I keep getting pulsars you may ask well my first car was a pulsar so I guess i just fell in love with it. My first one was a series 1 n15 in blue which I had for a while but It didn't get anywhere near what I wanted to achieve with it since it got rear ended whilst I was stopped at a traffic light As for my second pulsar well I bought it for very cheap and I fixed up to a state where it drove way better than before but it still had issues and I ended up parting it out right after I got my current daily which is a street triple rx.

I initially told myself no more pulsars and that if I were to buy another project car it will be something else and I had my eye on several cars that would have been awesome project cars but I still had all these parts left over from my previous pulsars that I could get rid off. So I thought better to not let these parts just sit here and rot so started looking for another pulsar.

I was specifically after a sss because i was over the ga16de and my plans of swapping an sr20de later on, made sense to just buy a sss which has an sr from factory. After a while of looking for one, many of which popped up but either had too many issues or where asking too much or were immediately snapped up I eventually found this one up for sale for a decent price. It was plasti dipped, had 17inch rims, hectic vibrations, oil leaks and around 237 000 kilometers on the clock at the time of purchase if I remember correctly. Despite wanting something with no issues I still picked it up anyway.

The drive home after buying the car was one hell of an experience with a vibration coming from the engine, brakes also vibrated like a b***h, adjustment on the coilovers was way out resulting in the car being super bouncy and driving like s**t! Got home and the engine bay was a bit smokey from something leaking on to the exhaust man I hate oil leaks! The car did come with new engine mounts which when I changed out one them the vibration was sorted out, I thought since i have the rest of the mounts I'd change all of them but when i went to tackle the gearbox one it was the wrong item so I put the old one back on and thought f**l that I'm not ripping the car apart only to find another wrong mount so left the others alone for another day (shit decision I know but oh well). There seemed to be a leak coming from the steering lack but nothing was loose, cracked or broken, so I cleaned up the rack area and the smoking issue was sort of fixed i guess. An o-ring on the distributor had given up so I changed that out with a new oem one. There is still a leak from where the oil pan meets the block and also a slight leak from the rear main I'm suspecting but I'll sort that out when I get a new clutch down the track.

When I first looked at the car before buying i thought the dip was okay but after buying man I hated it, I thought that s**t has to go immediately! Don't be fooled by the photos which make it seem look sorta clean, It was done horribly in my opinion. There was overspray in places that could have been easily masked off, like the tyres were just sprayed over it was a joke really :/ Two days later i had it peeled off, although there is still some leftover plasti dip in certain nooks and crannies on the car I like it without the horrible dip. Unfortunately the door bump strips were removed before it was dipped and then the areas sanded back so when I was pulling the dip off it just ripped any paint that was weak leaving me with bare metal which we can't have. My solution was to just rattle can the areas that were bare so it doesn't rust don't really care that it looks like shit as long it doesn't rust I'll be super

Ordered some DBA T2 rotors all round and Bendix pads front and rear for the car, I also refurbished the calipers and painted them red. The calipers had literally seen better days I mean they had gummed up to the point they were no longer sliding on the pins, rotors were probably warped and the pads on the front were so chewed it wasn't even funny wish I had photos :/ Pretty sure all that would explain all the vibrations I would get under braking, the day I bought the car and the times I drove it before putting it on jack stands to do all this work i would literally rely on engine braking and only touch the brake pedal to completely stop the car thats how bad it was. Installed some braided lines I had originally purchased for my second pulsar as well.

I had a Whiteline rear sway bar that I had also purchased for my second pulsar laying around that I installed when the brakes were done. With the coilovers, the spring preload had been messed with for some awful reason. The springs were so loose on the coilover you could grab hold of the spring and move it up and down and I'm talking like an inch and a half at least! so after the car was back on the ground that would need to be sorted out asap.

Bought a set of vzr tail lights too from another pulsar owner over east and installed those on the car. I took the liberty to clean up the wiring on the quad tail light mod which was already done on the car but wiring just wasn't to my liking so i fixed it up.

I also went on the hunt for some stock sss wheels as I'm a big fan of them. I could have bought a brand set of wheels but I'll do that when I figure out what big brake kit route I'll be going with later down the track. After selling the 17s I found a set the stock wheels which a ended up paying too much for (idiot!) I got the bunk tyres removed and had them blasted and then powder coated in Mint Bronze. Absolutely love this colour and what inspired me to get this colour is the bronze that you can get Work Kiwami wheels in, its a gorgeous colour so I thought Id add my own special touch and find something close to it.

I already knew what tires I wanted and my choice was Bridgestone's Potenza RE003. Having had RE002s in the past and being happy with their overall performance I got Bridgestones again. Also this is the second time I've purchased tyres and Bridgestone just happened to be having their buy 3 and get the fourth for free deal, can't say no to saving some money when you're broke so it made sense
    Finally got the tires mounted on the 21st of April and that day was the first time the car was taken off jack stands since December 2016 when I put it on jack stands to fix all these issues it had! I've since had the preload on the coilovers adjusted and the car aligned as well at Pedders. Thanks to those guys for their hard work the car now drives much better than before and boy does it love corners

Thats all I've done up to now (29 April 2017) I've been driving the car lately so I can actually get used to it and see if there are any gremlins I need to sort out. There some issues that I'll need to tackle like oil pan leak, coolant flush, replace radiator hoses, replace coolant overflow bottle thats cracked, replace gearbox oil and some other tiny issues. Plans with this car is to basically use it for track days, I will still drive it on the street so I'll be modifying it and making sure it doesn't attract the wrong attention as I'd like to keep the boys and gals in blue happy and not get hassled by them.
    I'll be adding on mods to the car as time goes but as you all know there are other things to deal with in life other than buying parts and modifying our project vehicles, I'll keep this thread updated as much as I can. I'll also link my blog which I post a lot of my photos that you can check out if you wish.

Thanks for looking through my thread feel free to leave a comment or provide some feedback too.

Greg.

http://iamthesavviour.tumblr.com/

Looks so much better - nice turn around!!
    Daily
    XR6 Falcon
    2nd Car
    Coming soon ;)

Looks awesome!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaryhoe View Post
    Looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mrkrooz View Post
    Looks so much better - nice turn around!!
    Thank you both for the kind words!!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Update on the Poosar!

So recently my car went from being fine to having no heat when the heat is on, guzzling fuel like my motorcycle when i get happy with the throttle and taking forever to warm up! Thought it might be my thermostat playing up so I did some research and the symptoms I was having are usually from your thermostat being open so I figured might as well get a new unit and flush the system at the same time. Picked up a genuine thermostat from nissan and some nulon premix long life coolant for the job.

DSC01161 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr

Funny how that tiny 2-3mm gap pictured below from the thermostat being cocked over to one side was enough to upset the engine. I was expecting it to be fully open like when it would be when its operating properly but nope just wasn't closing all the way. Ordered a new coolant overflow bottle too since the genuine on in place atm is brittle, cracked and losing coolant after a while.

DSC01163 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr

DSC01162 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr

Finally got around to changing my gearbox fluid which I had been meaning to do for a while. Picked up some castrol VMX 80W for the oil change. I think it had been a while since the box had received an oil change because man It shifts so much smoother now its quite insane, I definitely was not expecting my mind to be blown and have this much a difference from an oil change!

DSC01168 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr

Ordered some nissan parts from japan, nothing major some rubber seals that were missing from the bonnet and some parts that I'll be replacing when I get to sorting out my power steering rack oil leak.

DSC01160 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr

Placed an order for some new bushings for some things at the front of the car which have seen better days so hopefully the parts arrive during the week and I can tackle that job on the weekend. Thats all for now will hopefully have better updates soon thanks for looking through!
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Looking good mate. Keep the updates rolling. Whats your long term plans for this N15 SSS?
    N14 SSS Build Thread HERE!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Looking good mate. Keep the updates rolling. Whats your long term plans for this N15 SSS?
    Thanks Tim! Will do.

Basically want to button up the car and have it be reliable, do track days and get some experience under my belt. At the moment I plan on replacing bushings throughout the car, put some bracing on the car, full exhaust, clutch and cooling upgrades. Hopefully the sr can take the beating I plan on giving it, poor thing has 240Kms on it but I'll be keeping a close eye on it and keeping up to date with maintenance.

Eventually I want to build a stronger engine that can take a beating so forged internals and all the good stuff I can throw at an na sr20de. Have no plans of turbocharging it or swapping a det motor as I like it naturally aspirated. A front brake upgrade and some light weight enkei rpf01s is something I also plan on getting done. Definitely get a fresh paint job at some point too, would be nice to keep the factory silver but I think a colour change would spice things up a bit. So nothing too hectic planned for this car, certainly won't be a show car but just something I can take to the track, some spirited drives on the weekend and of course a trip to the local iga to get some groceries.
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Update on the Poosar!

Car has had a minor power steering leak, I guess the hard pipe had a crack as it was leaking out of the fitting even though it was as tight as you could get it before damaging the thread. Got a new pipe made up at Enzed, replaced some copper washers, banjo bolt for one of the pipes and put some fresh fluid in the system. No more leaks after that was sorted so happy days.

[IMG]DSC01176 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Picked up some bushings to replace on the front of the car, still have control arm bushings, shifter bushings, rear beam bushings and probably a couple more that I missed to replace but that will be another day.

[IMG]DSC01174 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comparison photo of some the parts that got replaced. The swaybar link bushings were absolutely toast it was actually a joke so I'm glad I did those! car definitely felt much better to drive after changing out these bushings, can't explain the feeling but steering felt very smooth at least way smoother than before.

[IMG]DSC01178 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thats it for now, car is getting fresh tint this week which is something I have been looking forward to for a long time! After that I'm looking at picking up a rear strut brace, lower control arm brace and control arm bushings so I'll update the page when that happens in the following weeks thanks for reading through. Peace!
    Last edited by Greggyy; 17-06-17 at 06:55 PM. Reason: grammar error
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Hello Everybody! Update on the Poosar.

Nothing exciting has happened other than finally getting some tint on the car. Went with 20% on windows behind driver, as for the front two I chose to leave them without tint. I also got my windshield banner installed whilst it was being tinted which I'm in love with. Anyway enjoy some photos I took when I went for a drive in the hills on Sunday afternoon.

[IMG]DSC01276 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01291 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01294 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01301 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01310 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01313 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01319 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01320 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for looking through, until next time.
    Last edited by Greggyy; 26-06-17 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Incorrect photo links
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Hey all!

Update on the Poosar.

Not much has happened lately other than servicing the old girl since 5000Kms has passed. I did receive my Cusco rear brace but to my surprise it wasn't a strut tower brace but rather an upper brace which is something VZ-R have from factory. Bit a of major whoopsie on my part not checking the part was the correct one I just figured the site I got it of said rear strut brace you know I'd actually receive that but I guess not. Of course my pulsar did not have threaded holes in the rear like a VZ-R would but they were just drilled out to 13mm, but I remember reading a technical how to post a member wrote up on either this forum or another forum on a number of ways you can install a brace like this one. I tried one of the ways but I struggled with that and thought stuff it Ill just nutsert the holes and be done with it. M12 nutsert was not going to work as the hole would need to be drilled out further so I thought i'll go with M10 nutserts which went in perfectly.

So I eventually got around to installing the brace just this Friday after work and I'm pretty happy with the install and it looks great. Below I'll put some photos of the brace when i received it and finally installed.

[IMG]DSC01365 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01368 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01370 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC01489 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I do have stuff planned for the pulsar but I'm just gathering the parts for now and I'll tackle everything in one go, I'll make a list of the things which will be getting done:

Repaint rocker cover
    Rocker stoppers [Nismo] (already have them waiting to installed)
    Rocker cover gasket and remove one snapped rocker cover bolt (should be fun!)
    Refurbished power steering rack (remember that leak I had that I thought I fixed, yeah well that still leaks smfdh)
    Driveshafts
    Driveshaft seals
    Heavy duty clutch [Exedy]
    Lightweight flywheel [Xtreme]
    Rear main seal (its not leaking but might as well change it whilst the flywheel is off)
    Engine mounts (was going to go polyurethene but I'll just stick with genuine items)
    Silicone radiator hoses (one of my hoses has been leaking since I changed the thermostat thanks to those crappy spring clips so better to just replace the hoses and the clamps)
    Headers (thinking of going with genie headers as they lock exactly like oem items and will bolt on all the way up to the cat, I could be wrong)
    5Zigen Pro Racer ZZ catback exhaust (made for a jn15 but I'm pretty sure only the pipe from the cat to the muffler might give me fitment issues since its made for a two door model but thats why exhaust shops exist)

Thats mostly what I planning to do for now so I can start attending tuning days and know my car has no issues going on with it or at least something small will give out because I've neglected to change it. More stuff will be getting done to the pulsar of course these are just the main things i need to do as of now and then carry on as I go. I will probably need another set of stock sss wheels so I can have proper track tires as I don't like the idea of tracking my RE003s and then having to get a new set after one track day.

Will post updates as more parts arrive and things are going on the car but until then thanks for taking the time out of your day and letting me bore you with my nonsense rambling. Cheers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast