Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 1999 Nissan Pulsar N15 SSS Series 2

Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Okay so an update is definitely necessary since it seems like I went awol on this thread :/ Not much has happened lately I've just been getting things done slowly but mostly focusing on other things which meant the pulsar had to wait its turn which is not so bad since its not a daily driver but mostly a weekly grocery getter and a cruise car when i go to the track on weekends to do my volunteer duties as an official.

I managed to buy some S14 dimpled and slotted rotors from RDA and they came with a 4 x 100 pcd already drilled into them. RDA get their rotors blank and then machine them I believe so they were more than happy to help me by drilling them to the pcd i needed which was very much appreciated. So if you're putting some Nissan 4 pots on your N15 or a different brake kit on another car but you're using another models rotor with a different pcd hit up RDA they can probably help you out at an affordable price too. I currently have T3 rotors all round but by the time I would have gotten T3 S14 rotors from DBA and then gotten them redrilled it would have cost a fortune as you'll find out in a bit when I talk about my hubs. I also got these turned down to 276mm from 280mm by a local engineering shop which is needed to clear the caliper.

[IMG]DSC02315 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02316 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

With the hubs I basically bought an N16 front hub kit which came with the bearing but I'll be buying a better quality pair before fitting everything because the bearing that came in kit is really shit quality tbh so yeah you do get what you pay for! Got the hubs machined at the same time as the rotors were getting turned down. I just need these to be 4 x 100 since N16 are 4 x 114.3 from factory. Didn't think it would set me back $360 to get both hubs and rotors done so yeah it got expensive real quick, it is what it is I guess this shop does have a pretty high hourly rate but since they always knock out stuff for my work I figured I'd go through them. The guy even told me he had to bring the price down too so I can only imagine what the original was :/

I also got the hubs and my caliper bolts zinc coated because the sate of the old hubs I took out of the knuckle was literally shocking the bearing had literally dried up too. I can't stand how on my car you can currently tell the hub and the shaft are rusty since it has no centre cap so I thought id do some rust prevention. Luckily the TSW wheels that will be going on soon have centre caps that will keep a lot of the water out so things can be a bit less rusty.

[IMG]DSC02309 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02310 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

As for the knuckles themselves I sand blasted them at work and gave them a lick of paint in some high heat paint so they should hold up pretty good.

[IMG]DSC02311 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02312 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

The calipers themselves I took apart and tried my best to get rid of the powder coat that was already on them, it certainly not easy but with a wire wheel i was able to get most of it off (just a heads up paint stripper did stuff all so don't waste your money or time just wire wheel). I might get the rest blasted off I'm not sure as I'm also still figuring out whether I want to powder coat them again but obviously a different colour or just paint them using a special brush on paint that you can get from America my mind changes on the daily so I guess you'll know soon at some point what I decide to go with. I'd love to powder coat them but I also have wheels which need powder coating so all this will get expensive really quickly and I'm just trying to keep the cost of everything down as much as I can. The brush on paint has really good reviews even with track day use but even then regular caliper paint from brands like VHT or Dulux is good too if you do a good job and a lot cheaper than powder coating. My current calipers still look good only issue is I probably handled them too soon after painting them so the shine is no longer there but paint is not chipping or peeling off they're still red with a slight blackness from brake dust.

[IMG]DSC02313 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02314 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was pretty tempted to just clear coat them after wire wheeling them as you can see one of the caliper halves is shiny from the wire wheel and has a polished sort of look which I actually liked but id have to get rid of all the red first. I already have a colour picked out but I don't know I might end up running with clear coat idea, I'm pretty sure you can clear powder coat things too which would be even better than me clear coating as it would be a more durable finish. I'll just to have to research and decide from there.

As for the car itself in my opinion the front is looking a lot better with the non SSS headlights on the car, I have also installed a new windscreen banner as I wasn't much of a fan of how the other one was installed. I installed this one myself so I could only blame myself had the job turned out crap which it didn't I removed all the windscreen trim and it was pretty simple, my cuts with the blade weren't so good though but no one will be able to see that since the trim is now covering that hack job

No longer have foggies on the car anymore, covers are back in place and with one them modified to feed air to my "custom" air intake tube to the air box. Not the greatest job at cutting it out but hey it works and when you're in the engine bay and you give the engine a rev or two it sounds awesome listening to the engine sucking in air, I giggle and smile like a little child. Its a shame you don't get to hear it from inside the cabin though.

[IMG]Untitled by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02302 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thats it for now next update should be wheels powder coated with the current tires on my stock wheels fitted to them and the car having much better stance I'm hoping Wheels need to have their centre bores machined to suite stock hubs for the rear and n16 hubs for the front so until next time thank you very much for reading through, Take it easy
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Love all the detail mate! Looks like it'd be a really fun car to drive and have the longevity
    N14 SSS Build Thread HERE!
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Love all the detail mate! Looks like it'd be a really fun car to drive and have the longevity
    Thanks Tim! It sure is, but it can only get better from here. Have a few suspension bits I want to add to that should spice things up a bit in the coming future.
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Alrighty Everyone time for another long boring update again!

Not a whole lot has been happening, just been trying to be patient while waiting to get my wheels back. Bit a of delay when I dropped them off at powder coating after getting them machined because the shop had to move into a different place so they have been backed up a bit which is understandable and I'm cool with. Good news is wheels should be done hopefully by the end of this week and I'm hoping to collect them on the weekend if things go my way (knock on wood).

In other news I did a custom thing to my pulsar, I basically came up with a way of adding another spoiler on the factory spoiler to spice up the look of my car. It literally has no functionality at all its just a looks thing and I love it. Bit of a love it or hate for some people, but its my car so ain't currr if you ain't a fan of it. Speaking of functionality the only draw back to this little mod is that now I can't open my hatch all the way because the spoiler on top hits the car before the hatch is fully open insert sad face here haha. Its okay I don't put my shopping in the boot anyway and I can still access the rear via the inside of the car if its really needed. basically its a Ford Focus ST spoiler that I put on there, I won't bore you with all the details but if you're keen on finding out how I did it you can read more on it here: http://iamthesavviour.tumblr.com/tagged/mk3

[IMG]DSC02563 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Picked up some Primera emblems from Nissan, you usually find these on a P11 wagon If I remember correctly. I was going to EFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ__12345678et badge that came on silvias and get a sticker made up just with out the t, but I thought thats too much work and money so this was much easier. Now if someone sees that my car has regular series 2 headlights instead of black sss ones they won't doubt the car is a sss because you know the 2.0 badge will let them know i'm all about that SR20 life

[IMG]2.0 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

On another note I bought some Nismo wheel nuts to use when I finally put the new wheels on the car. I figured the 34mm nuts would suffice since I'm not really a big fan of really long lug nuts, either way you won't be able to see these anyway since my centre cap will be covering them all the time.

[IMG]DSC02576 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02577 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02578 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02580 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was also on the hunt for some replacement labels for the centre caps, but I couldn't find anything exactly like what came with the wheels. I did find some "metal" stickers so I'm going to attempt to remove the BMW labels from mine and use these nissan ones. I did unfortunately buy the wrong size so I will have to order another set, lucky for me they're cheap as so its no fuss.

[IMG]DSC02581 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other than that thats pretty much it for now, I'll update the thread on the weekend if the wheels are back with me to show what they look like. I did decide to get new tyres instead of swapping my current 195/50s over just incase I ever need to use my current stock wheels Id have to rush around to get tyres on them so I'm just going to leave the current tyres on them. When my wheels are back I'll book in a date with the tyre shop for July and I'm looking at getting some RE003s again, but in 205/55r15 which should look pretty good with the 15x7s.

I also bought something that i've always wanted to put on the pulsar, I think this part/parts is/are pretty amazing considering I've never seen them in real life on other pulsars because they're pretty rare. Should transform the rear of the Poosar by quite a bit and almost complete the look I've been going for with my car so look forward to that when the package arrives. Until then thank very much for reading and enjoy some shots I recently took of the Poosar cheers!!

[IMG]DSC02574 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02557 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02558 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02530 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Daily
    Triumph Street Triple RX
    Name
    Gregory

Time for another little update!

Thought something weird had been going on in my shifter area, strange noises were coming out of there and also upshifts and downshifts weren't the same so I thought id have a look under there. What do you know the shifter bushing/bracket had split on one side which explains all the noises and the inconsistencies during the times I was driving the car.

[IMG]DSC02583 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02582 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pulsar is now just sitting in a sad state Thats okay though I've got a replacement billet item sorted which should be on its way to me shortly and then it should be happy days from there hopefully!

[IMG]DSC02585 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Those rare parts I mentioned in that last update arrived. Series 2 Lucino tail lights!! I sure am a happy man, they're not the cleanest set in the world I'm thinking they came off a car that had been sitting around for a long time so dirt definitely got the best of them. Not too worried when I eventually get the tail lights converted to LED i'll get the people doing the conversion to give the lenses a good clean while they have them apart.

[IMG]DSC02591 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02592 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02593 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last, but not least to finish off this update, I now have my precious Tsw's back from the Powder Coater. I'm really happy with how the wheels turned out, took a while but definitely worth it. Will be visiting the tyre shop tomorrow to lock in a date to get new tyres put on. I've also realised I'm going to need a new spare to match the spec of these wheels because the stock 15x6 +40 wheels would look odd if I ever needed to use a spare. Won't find a spare Tsw Evo on its own but I'll most likely be picking up something that looks good with the same specs off yahoo japan because wheels in these specs come up every now and then. Mostly new ones compared to used, but that will do.

[IMG]DSC02586 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02587 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02588 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02590 by gumunyugregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm not sure If I mentioned it when I first picked up the wheels, but I wanted the colour to be pretty subtle nothing a little wild like the current set in mist bronze so I went with BMW silver for the colour. Centre locknut was finished in Super Chrome to offset the wheel just like how they came factory. I've also decided I'm going to use the logos that came with wheels, they will need some elbow grease to get them looking better.

Thanks for reading through, got a few things coming in to help clean up the engine bay, but next update the shifter situation should be sorted, hopefully have my Lucino tails fitted with new Led bulbs and maybe even the Tsw Evo's fitted with fresh rubber and on the car!
    Cheers .
    Daily
    HDJ80 Landcruiser, Vitz, Supra
    2nd Car
    Supra
    Name
    Shane

Great detailed thread man, love what you have done! Whats happening with the darker shade on the doors?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123