Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tim's Red '92 N14 SSS Build - SR20VE - RPF1's - Weight Reduction - Track Day Prep

Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

A few more updates guys...

Bought some GTiR rear calipers a while ago. They were in pretty rough condition, so gave them a bead blast. They will be getting rebuilt. I have a genuine Nissan overhaul kit sitting there for them.

Before:

After:

Also the rear end is officially done, back together.

I assembled the front end, with the stock lower control arms. (I have some N15 ones to replace the stock ones. N15 gives you another 10mm track per side) I wanted to see what the height was like. It's a bit low, the control arms are inverted a bit.

That's all for now guys.
    Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:14 PM.
    N14 SSS Build Thread HERE!
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Stripped one of my GTIR calipers and found that the piston has some bad corrosion which has rusted straight through the chrome coating. After some part number cross referencing from another forum member on PGA. I ended up finding an aftermarket option that I'll give a go. I have ordered 2 replacement pistons. The funny thing is that the caliper bore is perfect. The rust had actually formed outside the bore. Where the dust boot sat. It must have held moisture.

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:14 PM.
    Daily
    Mazda 323 FE3
    Name
    Jono

Damn, that caliper piston is wrecked! Awesome build man. We also got these in South Africa, but they are getting super rare.
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkat View Post
    Damn, that caliper piston is wrecked! Awesome build man. We also got these in South Africa, but they are getting super rare.
    The piston has definitely seen better days, that's for sure. Thanks man! I'm trying to keep it interesting. They're quiet common over here, but finding them in good condition is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Stijn 23 View Post
    Super cool to see some less known 90's nissan here! Don't get me wrong, I love the skylines and silvias but there is something about those pulsars (Belgium called sunny N13, N14 or almera N15 and N16). The SSS like you have is never released in Europe. We got a GTI but also never in hatchback version. So cool to see this thing! Keep up the good work! I myself got a P10 2.0eGT and P11 GT with an SR20 inside.
    Thanks mate! I keep coming back to the 'less appealing' Pulsar. It is FWD and it is harder to build, you can't just buy all your parts off the shelf and bolt them on for every fix or remedy, but I like that it keeps me thinking. It is hard to explain the fun factor they produce.
    I am familure with the GTI and the Sunny/Almera. Correct me if I am wrong, P10 is a Primera, and the P11 GT should have an SR20VE?
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Quick, reasonably small update guys, have both of the caliper rebuild kits for the brakes now and the kit to overhaul the N15 SSS brake master cylinder (15/16") VS stock N14 which is (7/8")

A couple of photos:
    GTIR rear caliper genuine Nissan rebuild kit - P/N D4ABM-61E26

A32 Maxima Front Twin Piston Caliper Genuine Nissan Rebuild Kit - P/N D1ABM-38U25

N15 SSS Brake Master Cylinder Genuine Nissan Rebuild Kit - P/N 46011-69C27

Genuine Nissan N14 SSS Steering Rack Boots, note left and right are actually a different length - P/N 48203-53Y25 & 48204-53Y25

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:16 PM.
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Stijn 23 View Post
    P10 and P11 are both primera's (G20 in America). The P10 sport model was briefly called 2.0eZX, then 2.0eGT and has an NA SR20DE. In 96 the P10 was replaced with P11. The sport model was now just called GT. It still had the SR20DE. However in Japan the P11 could have a VE engine. So far the history lesson

I know what you mean with the "lesser" models. Love how you can show up at meets with a 4 dour family car like your grandfather had and turn some heads. Only some people know you had sporty versions of the otherwise quite boring cars. Most people don't give my primera a second look until I open the hood Or if they hear it because it sounds really nasty
    Well there you go, thanks for that info

That's my favorite part owning a car like this!
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Another small update:

Put the rear interior back in, I had it out when I was welding up those rear sway bar mounts, prevent any potential fires

Mounted the rear strut brace too.

Excuse the crease in the boot mat. It was folded up.

Also, picked up some mint N15 SSS wheels off another member. The reason I am running these is that they will clear the bigger brakes without any spacing required. I will have to machine the centerbore out to suit the N16 front hubs though, that's the only downside.

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:17 PM.
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Alright, been a little slack keeping this build thread updated guys..

I've been busy rebuilding brake calipers. right now I've completely rebuilt both rear GTIR calipers and have done one of the A32 Maxima Calipers.

I wanted to share how I rebuilt the rear internal handbrake calipers. They are a bit tricky as they have an internal spring which is held down under tension with a circlip. So compressing the spring and popping in the circlip is easier said than done in a 32mm ID bore, let alone 50mm or so down.

I used a long 'F' clamp typically used for wood work and a 16mm OD tube in order to compress the spring to then get the circlip in. I also went to Bunnings and bought some cheap 'Trojan' internal circlip pliers which I modified, ground the pivoting part down quiet a bit in order for it to fit in the bore. I had to cut the grips off them and I had to grind the diameter of the pins which compress the circlip to fit in the small circlip at the bottom of the bore.

Here are a few photos of the setup:

You can see there the circlip you need to access and the top of the spring and the spring 'hat'

That's the fit with the tube located in the spring

The overall setup:

I just put the bottom jaw of the F clamp on the bottom of the caliper

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:20 PM.
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Also, here is the finished product of the 3 calipers I have rebuilt thus far.

And a before and after of the A32 Maxima Calipers:

BEFORE:

BLASTED:

REBUILT AND PAINTED:

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 11:06 PM.
    Daily
    N15 SSS Pulsar
    Name
    Tim

Alright guys:

Calipers are officially rebuilt. Extremely happy with them!

So previously rear brakes upgrade on an N14 was limited to GTIR rear calipers OR GTIR calipers with A32 Maxima rear caliper carriers (brackets) to space the caliper out to fit a 278mm rear A32 Maxima rotor in there. The issue with this is GTIR use a 33mm hat height rotor and A32 use a 45mm hat height. So you would have to put a 22mm spacer in between the hub and the rotor.

I have done some searching and discovered that the 2002 - 2005 Ford Focus ST170 rear rotors are 280mm, 33mm hat height. The only things required to make them fit is change the PCD from 4x108 to 4x100 and machine out the centerbore from 64mm to 68mm. Basic machining. The rotor thickness is also 10.3mm VS 9mm Worst case scenario the rotor may need a skim to get them to fit.

Machining should happen this week, hopefully do a fit up next weekend.

Last edited by Timmy; 10-08-17 at 10:26 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast