Thread: Lightyear Fastback road/race MX5

Daily
    89 mx5 track car 1.6 turbo

Lightyear Fastback road/race MX5

Haven't been on here for a while. I will post up a couple of my cars I have now and if anyone is interested I will keep updating.

This is my Black endurance race car. It's not finished yet, still needs the aero package and I am making a new fastback roof and boot, then paining them to match.
    It's first round of mods was B.C coilovers, wheels, tyres and front lip.

Then I was talked into getting a full cage, as we found a great deal that wasn't going to cost a lot more than a half cage. Long story short, it took over a year to get a cage in the car. So it sat for all that time unused, I only drove it 5-6 times.

Once the cage was in, I got stuck in and prepped the inside of the car. Cage was painted rainbow red, interior gloss white.

Then I quickly reassembled the car, and entered it in the first round of the Vic Supersprints at Phillip island. The car is pretty basic in its spec, pod filter, elcheapo exhaust, h.d clutch and light flywheel. Standard NB diff gears with factory Torsen. It managed a 1:52.6. I was very happy with that, and I won my class. Good enough for its first run.
    Stole a pic to prove it.
    Daily

Then I pulled it all back apart again in no time so I could start painting it black.
    Daily

I made some vac infused carbo fibre doors that only weigh about 2.5kgs. By the time I put on the cut down hinges, window, door latch, handle, etc, etc. The total weight was 4.2kg's. Still kind of light. It's a 22kg saving per door.
    Daily

The car as I said is now painted and I am getting a new fastback roof and boot to paint black to match.

I am going to put some stickers on it and some red bits like this.
    Daily

I also make carbon fibre race wings. The car will cop a nice aero package that will help it cut some quick lap times. Remember this car has no engine or ECU mods. So it puts out around 90kw's. It will weigh around 900kg's.
    I predict the lap times at Winton to be around a 1:35. Phillip island 1:49. That is quicker than most WRX's and skylines that have over double the horsepower.
    Daily
    GS300

Wow that looks pretty nice, good cage too
    Daily

I am doing another track day on Monday, so dug out the old aero package and slapped it on. It will do the job until I get around to building a better aero setup with a full width wing. And maybe swan neck mounted. And a carbon fibre front diffuser splitter leading to a proper set of side skirts, etc.
    Daily

It's loaded and ready for Winton tomorrow. Let's hope for a cooler (hassle free) day. I think I will struggle to get a 1:36 with the RS4's and tall diff ratio. But as always will give it my best shot. I bought some alloy flexible duct so I can make it a bit cooler inside while driving. Will just poke it out the side window and point the other end at me.

Daily

There are a few more jobs to finish, but it's getting there.