Page 1 of 85 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 S13 Silvia, OEM style...but not!

Daily
    CD5 Accord, S13 Silvia
    2nd Car
    810 200B S12 Gazelle
    Name
    Jarich

1990 S13 Silvia, OEM style...but not!

I started to drift around the middle of 2004 in my then newly finished S12 Gazelle. After spending around 2 years changing stuff and progressing in skill somewhat, i decided to go to a car with an large and cheap range of off the shelf parts so i got a S13 Silvia.
    Anyways this is what i bought in October 2005. It's was a 1990 Silvia Q auto, converted to basically stock K's spec, SR20DET, manual, also the previous owner swapped to SR spec brakes and viscous LSD.
    It was also filthy inside and out, probably why i got it cheap as since the compression and everything else mechanical on the car was in top nick.
    It was also pretty damn gutless and doughy due to a blown turbo/manifold gasket and lacked any kind of intercooler.

So this was my starting point:

Paint was mostly ok, but patches of primer and parking scrapes ment that I had a respray in mind right from the start.

Very dirty engine bay but the motor was in good nick.

Did china front mount cooler, with some free piping on the hot side and some home made stainless piping on the cold side.
    Also put in fixed back bucket (from my old car) and a set of DIN mounted Omori gauges for oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and a Blitz gauge for boost (free from a mate). Me and dad also made some heat shields for the extractors/turbo and a bashplate covering the area between the radiator support and the crossmember.

I installed the cooler as high as it would go, the mounts actually go through the headlights! At least through the plastic tabs that the headlights use to mount .

China extractors, I had some on my S12 that worked well for a number of years, 2 years later and no cracks or anything have appeared .

Oil cooler kit that I made, permacool remote mount kit plus china oil cooler core plus some lines and brackets I made. It's worked well but I want to redo the now aging lines with Earl's parts.

Viscous diff wasn't that flash (even in the wet) so i got a cheap R32 GTR diff (stock 2 way), axles and R33 GTR hubs off ebay. Have to swap the silvia rear diff cover and the input flange onto the GTR diff but apart from that it's a bolt in swap.

There were a few cracks in the drivers side wheel arch where S13s always crack, no big deal, welded it up with a reo plate over the top.

So then I chucked in some old TEIN HRs and went drifting.
    Wasn't that flash with only a 2"cat , 2.5" catback and an awfull wheel alingment but fun enough anyways.

So then a new 3" cat and 3" catback (car already had 3" dump and frontpipe) went in and woke it up a bit!

Since one of the things i liked about the Gazelle was the extra castor i gave it i put in some aftermarket tension rods, these were just jap parts which I later decided were shite and I sold them and installed offset castor bushes in the stock rods (cheap option, I'd prefer more castor though).

I also put some S14 brakes that I had laying about on, 5 stud billet front hubs and some washers behind the tie rods to give it some more lock. The seams in the front guards and the guards themselves had already been bashed into shape at around this stage.

Some strut braces and other bits and bobs appeared and it all looked like this about now.

Then the Teins made way for HSD HR's and some cheap arse rear arms were installed.

At this point I discovered that wheel alignment guys suck. I don't use workshops much (almost never in fact) but at this point I still got shops to do my wheel alignment. Not anymore! I taught myself how to do a wheel alignment after several shops winged and whined their way through several shitty alignments.

So this was the car at this stage, OEM plastic front lip, 17x9 PIAA wheels all round and so on.

Got some OEM plastic skirts.

Decided that just jap rear arms were scary and they had next to no adjustment anyways. I went with whiteline upper arms with urethane bushes. I think urethane pivots are a great idea on a car that is after all my daily, rain, hail and shine!

Random picture with my 17x9 Yokohama AVS drift wheels on the back.

Then I had a bit of a stack. This was my first ever drift crash. On one of the back straights at EC I lost it at the top of 3rd in pouring rain and the car just didn't slow down after that! Wet grass in the rain isn't very tractive I must say....

I bought a KAAZ 2 way LSD around this time (the GTR diff with it's low breakaway torque was good in high grip situations with the power on but was bad with low throttle input or slippery situations, I almost just rebuilt the diff with more preload but the KAAZ came up cheap).
    I got a S15 plain bearing turbo cheap from a mate, although I didn't think the T25G was that bad for my purposes anyways.
    Got another tail light for $45.
    Last edited by nebuchernezzer; 04-08-11 at 11:11 AM.
    Daily
    CD5 Accord, S13 Silvia
    2nd Car
    810 200B S12 Gazelle
    Name
    Jarich

So we straightened the car, initially it was going to be me and my dad doing it with some tips from one of his mates who is ex motorbody repair.
    It ended up his mate showing us how it's done with dad helping and me taking notes, i'm pretty confident that in future i'll be able to do a similar repair, in fact I've done some minor body repairs at the track on mates cars using these techniques (ie making sure they didn't fuck their bodywork up by using a hammer to bash things back out after a drift bingle!! bad idea kiddies!)

This is the before shot

First using the jack and some blocks of wood to push the dent out some from the inside.

That helped alot, the rear quarter almost lines up with the boot again.

Now tie the front of the car to a tree to stop it sliding about.

Braze a plate onto the rear quarter and start pulling on the direction the rear end was knocked in.

With the panel in tension the ripples and dents in the rear quarter are all knocked back out.
    You can see in this photo that alread the panel is heaps better and the fuel cap closes nicely.

Next we moved the pulling point lower to pull the areas we couldn't knock out from the inside.

The rest of the work was done with a hammer dolly and body spoons to get the profile around the light all good again. The new light was very handy as a guide. Note that the bootlid needs to be adjusted somewhat hence it not lining up perfectly with the right rear quarter above the light.

Now all i have to do is finish off some minor dents on both sides with a hammer and dolly and then get to sanding and painting.

Crap there was alot bog from a previous repair in the left rear quarter! Shitty repairs in the past were actually fairly common on this car it seemed .

Previous crappy repair knocked out about as good as it's going to get.

The crashed rear quarter ready for smoothing

Right rear quarter with filler on it

Left rear quarter with filler on it

Came out nicely around the light, it was probably the hardest bit to get right. I spent a fair bit of time with a file in this area shaping away.

I changed the turbo one cold wet windy day.

Dad spray puttied the car

I chopped up an old S14 dump/front pipe I had gotten for free off a mate (crashed car) and added a 3" flex I got from ebay. Dad welded it up for me.

While I was away (in fact doing a motorkhana in a borrowed Silvia) Dad did some spraying.

It came out nicely, I've still not polished it even years later haha. It will be polished when I come back to Oz I think.
    I had installed a standard airbox, another rocker cover that I painted with VHT red wrinklecoat and a new hotside intercooler pipe to match the coldside one at this stage as well. You can see an S14 radiator in there now as well .

Finally I got hold of some OEM plastic rear pods, they are pretty rare these things!

Lastly I installed a Z32 AFM, S15 injectors and my PLMS tuned rom (all things I had kept from my S12 in fact!) and took it to the dyno. The dyno shop once again pointed out how useless workshops are to me by accidently pulling off the fuel pressure reg vacuum line while they were putting in their boost sensor and then insisted that my tune was terrible cos it ran so lean. Anyways I took it home, checked out EVERYTHING and eventually decided that they sucked and bought myself a wideband 02 meter. Some testing later and I discovered perfect AFRs and awesome throttle response...

After this I drifted the car once (NSW state round, where I came 4th) and then came to Japan (Mid 2007). The car is at home awaiting my return!
    There isn't much that I want to do to the car right now really but I have a few things in mind:

Redo the oil cooler lines with Earl's fittings.
    Clean the engine bay up, make it all look awesome.
    Adapt the Z32 AFM to a stock airbox (I have a pod on the car temporarily right now).
    Replace the fixed back seat with a pair of matching seats, Brides or Recaros. The seat has been awesome to me, it's just an aethestic swap.
    Put my 33cm Nardi wheel in.
    Rear cradle lock bushes, the rear end bushes are getting a bit tired.
    A few more body braces.

So that's it! Although I didn't mention it this car did 1 or 2 drift days a month for the whole time I owned it apart from when it was off the road for a month or so after the crash. It's been pretty good to me .

EDIT: I added these videos of the car in action.
    NSW state round 1 with commentary etc. You can see how well my 190rwkw Silvia goes against an SR20 powered KE70, a 250+ rwkw 180sx, Nathan Weisell's 300+ rwkw R32 and Michael Truscott's 240+ rwkw Silvia. It stacked up well I think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR-LGFoBwM

Me and my 'team' so to speak Ricochet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj8RajVp41I

Back in the day, T25G, Tein coilovers, GTR diff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uJVCKGwb8

An even older vid, I think this was my 1st time at Oran in the car.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ranMay2006.flv
    Last edited by nebuchernezzer; 14-05-08 at 04:55 PM.
    Daily
    is fast
    2nd Car
    has vtec

fark man love it!!
    i like how its all turned out man
    Daily
    CD5 Accord, S13 Silvia
    2nd Car
    810 200B S12 Gazelle
    Name
    Jarich

Thanks . I'm quite pleased with it myself .

I just added some vids of the car in action down the bottom of the 2nd post as well .
    Daily
    E92 325i
    2nd Car
    RB25 S13 Silvia vert

look nice man

very neat
    Daily
    S14a

i really love how this cars been done....nice and clean and nothing overboard...
    keep up the good work
    Daily
    a VN Commodore

Not this car again!! Are you on every forum?
    Daily
    NA6

S13's are growing on me.... awesome car!

Really, really nice mate.

Good to see that an S13 doesn't need to be a pig for a change.

thats one niice looking s13, love the flared stok guards..

im pretty darn sure ive seen this crashed and fixed in an od issue ofdrift battle.??
Page 1 of 85 123456781151 ... LastLast