Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JDM FC3S TRACK CAR BUILD

Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Liam also spent a lot of time on the steel front hub setup aside from the stud solution. The Ronin Speed Works big brake kit originally designed by Roger Mandeville was an excellent budget big brake solution. As stated it utilises the factory FC Series 4 calliper but with the supplied kit you split it, make it wider and locate it out radially an extra inch to fit the Nissan 350Z Brembo rotors which are 2" larger in diameter and 1/4" thicker. Off the shelf parts for a factory look with a huge increase in thermal efficiency.

The kit includes a spacer to go behind the rotor to make sure it sits central in relation to the calliper. Liam took this a step further and eliminated the need for the spacer by milling off the same amount from the calliper where it mounts to the dog bone that locates it further out. Now it sits centred with no spacer. He also spent extra time finishing the calliper itself where the spacer between the two halves go together to the point where you cant even spot its installed.

We still use the factory FC brake pad retaining pins - but they are drilled to accept split pins on the inside of the calliper to hold them in place. It's all finished off with the bearing spacers so we can crank it up nice and tight and combined with the steel hub ensure it stays that way no mater how hot it gets on the big stops at Phillip Island and Sandown.

Rear brakes are FD rear rotors and Liam not happy with the adaptors and spacers in the Supernow kit decided to manufacture his own to move the calliper out to suit. He also modified the hand brake cable bracket to ensure the correct angle is maintained for OEM reliability.

Mazdatrix tie rod ends with bump steer correction are on, as are the front and rear adjustable swaybar links. Liam again had to modify these as the fit was ok - but the alignment of the links was improved with some tweaking.

PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Engine bay is basically complete fabrication wise. Liam designed the most stealth oil catch can ever - the filter and line are concealed in the front of it out of view. I will post pics of the bumper off this weekend but as you can see its pretty clean looking.

And on the other side of the bay a mirror image with an enclosed airbox feeding a "stock" turbo........
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

The factory dup pipe setup is pretty restrictive so I had a DXF file made of the dump off the back of the turbo. Now we have a nice bellmouth off the rear with lots of room to let the wastegate do its thing. The flapper valve on the internal gate before barely opened before it hit the flat plate on the rear housing. Now we have a nice smooth transition.

Leading into a 100 cell stainless cat. Yes a cat - it's still road registered but more importantly if the police lose their sense of humour I can register it on rally permit or "RP" plates and a pre requisite is a catalytic converter.

All leading to the back where a 3" AES rear muffler lives tucked upwell clear of the ground. Liam puts a lot of work into the exhaust ensuring great ground clearance and close tolerance for a perfect fit.
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Nice simple pipework

Hard pipes from the cooler to the throttle body is mounted to the chassis rail. I run solid delrin engine, transmission, suspension and diff mounts so nothing really needs to move around a whole lot reducing the chances of a blown cooler hose.

Nice tidy bay, coils all mounted and everything is pretty easy to get to. Radiator overflow tucked in beside the airbox.

I have no provision for a blow off valve as I am not running one. I am sure people have strong opinions on this but mine is that its for emissions (noise) nothing more. I have run big HP turbo cars before - my XR6T was fine without one. I think that the only other main reason is that as production cars became more advanced an ran higher boost the discerning buyer did not appreciate the noise that came with it and neither did the EPA so the plumb back was fitted to make it quieter. Have a look at any modern naturally aspirated car and you will notice on the inlet tract dampers to dull the induction roar too. My Honda S2000 had huge ones which I of course removed 8)
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Nice simple SPAL thermo fan all mounted up.

Rear view into the throttle body.

All the cooler piping fitted on each side of the radiator without having to chop up the inner guards. I will snap a few pictures as I pull it all down to commence the final assembly now the fabrication is all done here. It's all close - but it fits.
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

When I went to pick it up - Simons car (Rotary Inc.) awaiting Liam's attention. I call it the sister car, but really mine is a junior burger compared to the "Big Mac" being created here!

The old Cosmo coupe ready to go onto the trailer and into storage until the end of the year now the FC is back in the garage. I will build another shed where it's sitting to house it permanently over xmas at the end of the year.
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

That's it for now. In the coming weeks I will strip the car down to begin final assembly. Main items from here are the installation of a new clutch, harnesses, new tyres, and wire the car up including the Microtech and ancillary gauges. Then we can send it off for a tune on the stock unopened import motor. I will be happy with a reliable 300HP at the wheels.

Once I have run it for a while to develop and sort the car-budget permitting after my wedding next year, I will step up to a purpose built race motor to contest the end of 2015 and a full season in 2016.

Thanks for checking out my build.

James.
    Daily
    Sunday Model C
    2nd Car
    1J MX83
    Name
    Jacob

Man, Liam does some great work! Love how clean this is looking, keep it up
    gmr

updates are awesome
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Ok got the new tyres today. Falken FK615, 245/45R17 front and 275/40R17 rear. All fits perfect. FYI for anyone looking at this setup on an FC specs as follows.

17x8 +35 front with 5mm spacer and rolled guards on Tein SS
    17x9 +38 rear no spacer and rolled guards on Tein SS

Rolling diameter on this spec is identical front to rear. It's close up front (wheels are Work Rezax Roar) but with camber front and rear it all fits.

Pics up tomorrow.