Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JDM FC3S TRACK CAR BUILD

Daily
    180sx
    2nd Car
    Mazda RX7 FD3S
    Name
    Doug

This is such an inspirational thread. Keen for more updates!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by LaMonster View Post
    This is such an inspirational thread. Keen for more updates!
    Just fitting up the wheels now.

17x8 +35 front with 245/45 R17 and 17x9 +38 rear with 275/40 R17. Rolled fenders front and rear, 5mm spacer up front with 2.5 degrees or so camber and it fits.................JUST

Front 5mm clearance to strut and no rubbing full lock.

Rear 5mm clearance to control arm no rubbing

Very happy with the stance and clearance. Rolling diameter front to rear is identical to the mm. This makes setting ride height a snap and I raised the front 20mm to sit the car level with the rear.

The new clutch should arrive this week. Then it's just a matter of fitting everything off like fuel lines and clamps etc before going back to be fully rewired. The car will be rewired in full MIL spec (Military spec) wiring and then upload a start up tune before heading to the dyno.

If it all goes to schedule this will be a xmas worth waiting 3 years for.
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Doing all the boring parts at the end of a build is tiring but needs to be done. Small nuts and bolts, removing and refitting cooler pipes and bleeding up brakes with random air leaks (at midnight during the week!). But sometimes, just sometimes something really cool turns up in the mail to refire that enthusiasm............

BEHOLD Genuine Anniversary Racing Factory hood vent. Replaces the stock intake vent on the FC with a vent for letting air out from under the hood.

I had seen one before on Import Monster but was outbid it was decent condition for a 20 year old fibreglass part. I first saw this part in an old Hyper Rev magazine they are a great source of info for your car but I could never find one after looking for 2 years. It would make the perfect finishing touch to my 90's inspred JDM racer.

AR-F the maker no longer listed it on there site though - enter Jesse Streeter. I got in touch to have my Supernow Supension parts ordered and mentioned it and to see if he could help. He called up AR-F and they confirmed none in stock and no longer in production not unsurprising for a 20+ year old Japanese aftermarket part but............they were happy to sell their carbon fibre display model from the front window to me.

I have a mad 10 days to get all the small stuff finished off then it's off to wiring. By December it should be running ready to tune and fit the big clutch and harnesses. Finalise the alignment then off to the track in 2015. It's hard to think I started this 3 years ago.

I have really enjoyed the ups and downs of tracking down all the retro parts for this car but once it's done I am not sure what I will do once it's finished. I guess I will have to fill in the days at the track - not such a bad thing it's where this car wants to go. I have met some great people along the way whoe have helped get this car together and I am very grateful - you know who you are.

James.
    PM me if you have any Work Rezax Roar wheels - need more for spare race tyres any condition is OK!!!!
    Daily
    MK4 Golf
    2nd Car
    FJ20ET Datsun 1600

Great to see this thing still going strong, James. Hopefully we cross paths at the track next year!
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by anth View Post
    Great to see this thing still going strong, James. Hopefully we cross paths at the track next year!
    Sure thing Anth. I will be the guy with the shiny car and empty pockets eating out of the bin...........Going to be a lean xmas!
    Daily
    Pushy until coppas say so
    Name
    Rory

keen to see more updates
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by crbn View Post
    keen to see more updates
    Hi mate,

Just sweating on the auto elec. He is wiring it all up now then doing the start up tune for me. From there I have been talking to Nick from Holmes Performance and he will be tuning it in December after I install the solid centre clutch.

With luck, nothing leaks, everything fires up then it's just a case of installing the harnesses, extinguishers and an alignment & cornerweight and its set to test.
    Daily
    Isuzu Dmax
    2nd Car
    FC3S RX7 racecar
    Name
    James

Ok good news, it runs!!!

Chris did a great job wiring it up. Ran into a few small things but to be expected. It's now at the dyno for a tune and back to my place Sunday.

I decided to fit a new EL Falcon alternator, new clutch and flywheel from Direct Clutch Services is in and just a few small fab things like a shield around the pumps under the car and battery tray etc.

The rollcage is now certified, harnesses in next week along with extinguishers and an alignment then it's log booked as 2B sports car ready to go.
    gmr

Great news
    Daily
    VFII SS-V Redline
    Name
    Grant

Awesome result after what reads as LOTS of hard work, time and investment.

Also great story that accompanies your bonnet vent.

Looking forward to reading the shake down track day follow up.