Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: [QLD] S15 Spec R

Daily
    S15

Completely forgot another fun experience I had with the Silvia very recently. Took it out for a drive late one night with some mates through the mountains and noticed on the drive back the car handling a bit weird getting hard to steer. By the time I made it back onto normal roads, I very quickly realised my power steering was gone. Pulled over and checked the resevoir an it was completely empty. Filled it up fluid on the side of the road and almost immediately it started shooting out from the underside once steering was applied (high pressure line). Got it home eventually and investigated the issue and the fitting which was steering rack had come completely loose. Thankfully an easy fix but extremely fortunate that the fluid didn't catch the tyres causing me to spin or worse yet, the fluid caught on fire. I've been slack in putting in a fire extinguisher in the car but this was enough to prompt me to get it done. KAP Industries of course has this well sorted so got that organised fairly easily. I really would have liked to put this on the passenger side but anyway, it's done now.

Another minor issue I noticed was that I had no fluid from my windscreen washers, thought it might just be a failing pump. Did some basic testing and noticed that a bulk of the fluid was ending up under the car, near the driver's side front tyre. Pulled out the guard liner and found the lines looking like this. The car use to be quite low when I had bought it and the guard liners had taken a beating and worn through certain sections of it and I suppose over time, the leak got worse but I didn't notice either because there was enough fluid coming through despite the damage or that I kept the car clean enough to not need it. A bit of two I would say.

Daily
    S15

In further updates for the 110, I received a big delivery which I'm very excited about. Plan is still to stay auto because daily.

Garrett G30-770 .83 (T3)
    6 Boost manifold
    Turbosmart 50mm gate

Daily
    S15

In my everlasting quest to find parts, I finally found a pair of seats for the Silvia. The standard seats, while alright, aren't that great in term of holding you in. I found a seller locally who had a pair of Recaro SR11s for sale. These came in the Evo X and they're a very nice seat in terms of build quality, weight, OEM+ look and overall support around the shoulders, core and thighs. They didn't come with rails, but that can be sorted easily enough, although the pandemic is doing no favours for shipping prices at the moment.

Additionally this week I picked up some Nismo items, pretty self-explanatory items. The shifter I'll actually use, though I do really like the leather Nismo one I've been running for many many years now. Also I picked up the stock air box and J-pipe from the seller of my car. The J-pipe delete hasn't really been that good for the car as many a JZX owner will know and causing stalling issues when you come off the throttle at low speeds (pronounced in the automatics). Not only that but, the intake is just sucking in the hot air, even though I've got the factory ducting pointing at the intake.

Daily
    S15

The rails will turn out to be a slightly different ordeal given these mount a little differently, most likely requiring modifying a seat rail.

In other news, I needed to service the Silvia but I thought what better time to swap the coilovers in. When I bought them, I failed to notice I was missing the bracket on one side to mount the brake/abs hardware onto. Not a problem though, as I mentioned in an earlier post, MCA is just around the corner from me. A few messages and a short drive later, I was at their new workshop with a new bottom mount and the guys also gave me their newer dust boot. I was also able to grab all the associated brackets and so on the make my life easier. I had the MCA team last year put the coilovers in for a service which included revalving the rears, a non-inverted strut conversio and changing the front springs to 6k and the rears to 3.5k.

At the workshop

As you can see, missing the brackets.

Silvia was on the stands for a standard oil, spark plugs and filter change, but additionally the gearbox and diff service. I did promise myself I wouldn't do the gearbox service without a lift, however this time around it was the diff fill bolt which gave me the most grief. It's in a terrible location and getting a ratchet onto it is tricky at best. A few extensions, busted knuckles and swearing later, it came loose. See the picture for where the plug is (just behind subframe and near the exhaust).

Penrite also has a new shifter additive for gearboxes, supposedly Nulon stopped making it for whatever reason.

Also picked up this little Milwaukee light at Sydney Tools over the weekend on an impulse and I have to say it's a little ripper of a light. Super compact, punches out 300 lumens, runs off AA and has magnets on the bottom and back (once you remove the clip). Pricey at $50 but honestly, the convenience it offers is well worth the purchase price. It spent most of the weekend in arms reach or stuck inside the wheel wells while I worked.

The coilovers went in without much hassle up front. The rears were a little trickier inside the car as I have a Nismo strut brace over the top of the parcel shelf (see Google for the design of it). Even with those two items out of the way, it's a tight space to work in exacerbated by the fact I have to put the strut brace support bracket back on when installing coilovers, making access to the coilover top nuts even more difficult. After that it was really a matter of getting the heights right, which is where I would have loved having a lift. I aimed to get it sitting exactly as I had it before with that slight rake, I liked that look, the front had excellent clearance for speed bumps, driveways etc and the rears were just right for the exhaust clearance.

Car hasn't been aligned yet, but I can certainly feel a significant improvement in how the car rides over the bumps and harsh roads, much more composed. Additionally, I can go WOT with confidence as the car squats better and is less likely to get unsettled by the roads and hop around.

Finishing this post off with a nice little glamour shot in the air early Saturday morning before I got stuck into it, with my bumper discolouration in all its glory lol.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011