Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modifieds BNR32 - Slow project, long term goal

Daily
    Mitsi Outlander
    2nd Car
    BNR32

Modifieds BNR32 - Slow project, long term goal

Howdy all,

Figured I'd get a build thread up for my (relatively) newly acquired 1990 R32 GT-R. The R32 GT-R I've always thought was a cool car, and owning a GT-R has been something I've wanted to tick off for quite a while. Before we get into what's recently happened though, we need a bit of context.

A few years ago, I sold my Sil80 (build thread here - For Sale thread, has full list of everything that was done - pictures don't work, so will spend a bit of time updating them later). Ended up looking like this when I sold it;

All through owning the Sil80, one of my mates had what I thought was the coolest GT-R in the world. Nothing was overdone, it was all very neat-o. Looking back, I really took a lot of the styling cues from this car and made it do on the Sil80.

Going for upgraded OEM seats, stock body, simple gauge set-up, standard looking engine bay. Very similar styles.

Ultimately though, I had to sell the Sil80 as I thought getting a grown-up car that was sorted out of the box was a good idea. I'd be able to save some cash, not have to worry about defects, life would be glorious. Having a housemate with an Evo (who had come out of a stupid fast 180) said 'Get an Evo, they're perfect!'

They aren't. Turning circle is junk, and use a heap of fuel. That said, the steering in them feels really good, and they do feel planted on the road, which is kinda strange as they feel quite light as well.. I did end up with AWD though, so jumped into an 08 STi. Great car, did everything well! Could carry all my paintball gear, carry mates and eskys with no worries, and was able to do it all in almost any weather. Plus the garage looked kinda rad...

I really found myself missing that modified Nissan life though. It was a good car, but I didn't love it. I appreciated it's abilities and the engineering, but not how it made me feel. I really had the same sort of experience driving my girlfriends Mitsi Outlander. The STi just got me from A to B. I started to think long and hard about what to replace it with, and if it was even a good idea to even sell it. I actually didn't really think about a GT-R too much at first, I was more thinking of a newer S-chassis. Looking at S15's kind of got me down though, heaps of not very nice ones out there (although I was being fastidious and had high expectations). Looked online at some GT-Rs wistfully, but thought it would take a lot to get it to a spec I was happy with, and then when talking to Chris one time, he mentioned that he was thinking about putting his GT-R up for sale. By this stage the STi was almost sold, so I was in a position to buy it if that's what ended up happening.

I was really surprised though, as I didn't think that he'd ever sell it - plus, when you buy a mates car that has been a huge part of their life, it's almost like you start dating their ex. Definitely some similarities in the two scenarios.

So we spoke a few more times, went for a drive in it, then later that night I transferred some dollars over, and boom! I didn't just own a GT-R, I owned the GT-R that I thought was one of the best examples and suited my taste and style.

Mad awesome Instagram photo and edit that I did one morning when walking away from it at work

Chris owned the car for a decade, and I've known him for 8 years - so definitely had no qualms buying the car from him. History is known, but mainly I trust him. He's managed to do quite a lot in that time as well. Heaps and heaps of top shelf parts, and the car has been built and maintained by Josh at ProConcept (who has one of the cleanest workshop floors I've ever seen).

Engine
    N1 Block
    Standard crank
    Nismo black metal bearings
    Nismo Oil Pump
    N1 water pump
    ARP rod bolts
    86.5mm CP Pistons
    Approx 9:1 compression ratio
    Drop in sump baffles
    Ported head
    Tomei Poncams
    Tomei cam gears
    Tomei exhaust manifolds
    Tomei dump pipes
    Garrett GT2860-5 turbos
    Nismo AFM’s
    Nismo 600cc injectors
    Nismo fuel pump
    Nismo fuel pressure reg
    Apexi Power FC
    Koyo Radiator
    Nismo Radiator cap
    Trust intercooler
    Trust intercooler hard-piping kit
    Trust oil filter relocator and oil cooler kit
    Blitz Dual SBC-R
    Custom 2x76mm into 80mm front pipes
    Kakimoto Full mega N1 catback

Driveline
    OS Giken twin plate clutch
    5 speed transmission purchased from brand new from Nissan, approx. 15,000km old
    Tailshaft purchased new from Nissan, approx. 15,000km old
    Nismo GT Pro TT 1.5 way LSD
    Nismo engine and gearbox mounts
    Nismo clutch pedal bracket
    Nismo clutch slave cylinder
    Nismo clutch pivot

Suspension/braces
    Tein monoflex coilovers
    Nismo steering rack bushes
    Nismo control arm bushes
    Nismo subframe bushes
    Nismo diff mount bushes
    Nismo front and rear chassis braces
    Cusco Hicas cancel arms
    Cusco front strut brace

Brakes and wheels
    Nismo braided lines
    Nismo R-tune pads
    Proconcept 2 piece front rotors
    BNR34 Brembo calipers front and rear
    BNR34 brake master cylinder
    TE37 18x9.5 +12

Interior
    BNR34 front seats
    Works Bell removable boss-kit
    Personal steering wheel
    Defi oil pressure, oil temp, boost gauges
    Nismo floor mats front and rear

These two photos courtesy of Chris

That gets us pretty close to current. Since owning it I've had a few things done which I'll get to in the next post.
    Last edited by Modified; 27-03-16 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Updated wheel specs
    Daily
    Mitsi Outlander
    2nd Car
    BNR32

Since owning the car in December, there have been a few things that have happened to it (nothing at all bad).

First up was to get it a good service. So all fluids would get replaced. Since the car was built and maintained by Josh at ProConcept, I saw no reason to change that. Josh knows all the parts in the car and the history being the guy who built it. I mentioned above that his workshop floor is pristine. If he's willing to have that standard for his workshop, the standard of his work must be insane (which it is). Whilst Josh was doing his thing, the nitrogen canister for the AWD system was changed, along with replacing the lights in the climate control unit. The other thing that was done was the air con compressor was permanently on - turns out two wires just outside the fuse box had rubbed through, which meant it was constantly receiving power. Josh ended up having to trace the entire loom to find it.

From there, to Unigroup! I'd asked Chris, Josh and another mate (reaper) on who would be good with the GT-R to get it tuned, and Unigroup was the constant from all 3 of them. Doing some Google-ing confirmed that Unigroup is held in high esteem.

So went out, and the car made 292kw atw. A little low, but it was safe, and driveable. Turns out, there were two things that caused them to back off it a bit. The CAS (crank angle sensor) was reading all over the shop when going through the logs. It would read 4400, 4500, 4700, 4750, 4500, 5500 and so on. The second thing was the exhaust is proving to be a restriction now the cams are dialled in.

Advice to fix this and get the car making the power it should? Get a new CAS and a better flowing exhaust.

So have ordered in a new CAS from Kudos Motorsports, and speaking to Gavin at Garage48 for a new catback exhaust. He made the front-pipes on the car at the moment and they are beautiful!

The plan for the rest of the exhaust is for 3.5" piping, with an SMB mid-muffler and then another SMB muffler at the rear. That should improve the flow a whole heap, without making it cop-bait loud. Once that's sorted, it'll go back to Unigroup for the rest of the tune.

The other thing I've bought, but yet to fit is a whole heap of window rubbers and trims/seals - the ones on the car are understandably past their prime being 26 years old, so I thought I'd start the work there. Just need an empty weekend to get started on it!

Long term goal - there isn't really an end goal in mind yet. I essentially just want to enjoy restoring (I use that term loosely, as I'm just replacing things rather than full bare metal work) the car and fixing up the little things, whilst all the time enjoying it as a weekend drive..
    Last edited by Modified; 03-03-16 at 10:33 AM.
    Daily
    E39 535i M Sport

photos dont work.

please fix links so i can enjoy your thread lol
    Daily
    '11 D40 Navara K/C
    2nd Car
    '99 S15 Silvia
    Name
    Sam

I also want to see photos of said GT-R.

You fix now.
    Daily
    Mitsi Outlander
    2nd Car
    BNR32

I'm on a different PC now and they're working for me - although I just checked on my iPhone and they aren't displaying there at all.. I'll go through and use imgur instead of google for hosting and see if that makes things work.

EDIT: Have updated image links using photobucket and checked on my mobile and should be fixed!
    Last edited by Modified; 03-03-16 at 10:36 AM.
    Daily
    01 s2k
    Name
    Todd Higgins

Photos work.

Car looks great man!
    Daily
    '11 D40 Navara K/C
    2nd Car
    '99 S15 Silvia
    Name
    Sam

Nice man, very nice.
    Daily
    Jzx100 chaser
    2nd Car
    r32 gtr
    Name
    stephen

wow alot more modified than i was expecting, nice example of a gtr

some tasty mods on there

sometimes i wonder why people alter r32 gtr interiors tho, i prefer the nostalgic feel of the oem equipment
    Grand Sword Bearer Trolls Royce's Avatar
    Daily
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by stephen16 View Post
    wow alot more modified than i was expecting, nice example of a gtr

some tasty mods on there

sometimes i wonder why people alter r32 gtr interiors tho, i prefer the nostalgic feel of the oem equipment
    I prefer stuff that works.
    Daily
    E39 535i M Sport

What exactly doesnt work?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast